JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Long-time TJ owner new to JK and the forum.
I installed a set of Rigid Duallys a few weeks back. Love them!!
Going to install Rigid back-up lights this weekend using Rigid tail light mounting brackets.
My question is this...I want to wire them in with existing back-up lights so they come on when in reverse. Anyone done that before? Anyone advise against it? Thoughts???
Thanks!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hello all,
Long-time TJ owner new to JK and the forum.
I installed a set of Rigid Duallys a few weeks back. Love them!!
Going to install Rigid back-up lights this weekend using Rigid tail light mounting brackets.
My question is this...I want to wire them in with existing back-up lights so they come on when in reverse. Anyone done that before? Anyone advise against it? Thoughts???
Thanks!!
where did you get dually tail light brackets? I thought they only made those brakcets for the srm/srq now because the dually gets in the way of the soft top.

In any event, people have done this and I was going to too until i realized that there may be times I want the light behind me when I'm out of the jeep and not in reverse. Because of this i just wired it to a switch. It's not much more work to flip it on when i need it and I have the option to use it whenever i need it. Just a thought..hopefully more people can offer technical advice for you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
I should have been more clear. The Duallys I installed last week are up front and I used the Rigid mounting brackets (A Pillar brackets).
I am installing the SR-M's as back-up lights.
Anyway...Good point about needing the lights when not in reverse as well. I think thats what I am going to do. Mount the switch by my Dually switch up front as well.

Thanks!

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
You can wire them so that you have them on a switch and also when you put it in reverse. Just needs a little more thinking about how to do it.

I have a dually wired in just when I shift into reverse.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If you got the back up kit it comes with a DPDT switch so they can be tied into your reverse circuit and you can turn them on manually with the switch. I just tied mine into the reverse circuit because I already have a set of dually's up on my spare tire that are hooked into my sPod.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If you got the back up kit it comes with a DPDT switch so they can be tied into your reverse circuit and you can turn them on manually with the switch. I just tied mine into the reverse circuit because I already have a set of dually's up on my spare tire that are hooked into my sPod.

What do you do when you need to take your spare off?
Is there some sort of disconnect to easily remove?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
What do you do when you need to take your spare off?
Is there some sort of disconnect to easily remove?
The rigid wiring harness has connectors about 6" from the lights.
Yes the Rigid Dually's have a connector that sits right behind the wheel. Then I have a nifty release to take the mount off.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but, how was the install on the flush mounted into the existing tail lights? Looks great.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but, how was the install on the flush mounted into the existing tail lights? Looks great.
It's not bad. you just can't be scared with a dremel and drill. It's a fair amount of hacking to get them to fit but once you do I think the look is really good and they function great up that high.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine are mounted on the tail lights but conmtrolled by a switch. They are pretty damn bright so I only use them if I am on a trail. My wife has been tempted to used them on people riding the bumper...so I keep the MOPAR covers on them.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I like what you did with the Dully's in the spare tire - that looks great!

And I agree - wire them in to the reverse light harness and use them as backup lights. You can always add another on a separate switch if you want to run one with it's own function....

I'm waiting on my new rear bumper an them I'm adding the Flush Mount Baja Design SII's in to my backup light circuitry....

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
For those of you that used an Spod, how did you run the wire up to the front?

I just received my backup light kit yesterday and I've been tossing around ideas i my head. I was thinking of running it inside the frame rail until it gets to just before the front wheel well where the frame rail bends up and from there come up and right into the engine bay. But any better/easier ideas that will keep the wire safe are welcome. As are photos. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts