JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a set of Rigid Dually's coming soon and had considered using them to replace the stock fog's with them pluggged into the factory harness. I've been researching this but most of what I'm finding just relates to being able to use the rigid's in the factory location but not much in the way of how well they work. IF I decide to go this route, I'd prefer to have them fired off the factory harness, but would prefer to not have to hassle much with having to go with great lengths make it work or wire them off the battery for a fog light application.

I did stumble on a thread on wranglerforum.com where someone was having issues related to the can-bus system and the PWM and how it doesn't seem to play nicely with LED lighting.

So has anyone out there done this mod and how has it worked out? do you have it wired independent of the factory harness or off the battery.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Mine have been working like that since I got them... I had to remove a small piece of plastic on the harness, to plug in directly, but not an issue.

My plug looked like:

On the factory side there is a spacer so you can't fit the plug backwards, and that little piece of plastic sticking into the middle of the plug has to be removed... I can take pics later if you are confused.

·
I Put the FU in FUN
4,254 Posts
Had mine installed for about 3 months. No issues. Hooked to factory fog wiring harness. I removed the rigid connectors and patched in the factory connections heat shrinked.
I love how bright these things are. However, can't be used when traffic is around. You'll blind the other drivers.

Do it though. You'll love them.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had mine installed for about 3 months. No issues. Hooked to factory fog wiring harness. I removed the rigid connectors and patched in the factory connections heat shrinked.
I love how bright these things are. However, can't be used when traffic is around. You'll blind the other drivers.

Do it though. You'll love them.
Now are you running the spots or the floods? The ones I've got coming are the flood pattern.

Now you cut the plugs on both the lights and the factory harness?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Now are you running the spots or the floods? The ones I've got coming are the flood pattern.

Now you cut the plugs on both the lights and the factory harness?
The Rigids come with a pigtail that you splice into the factory after cutting off the plug if you want.

Edit:
Now that I think about it, the picture is the pigtail harness that comes with the Rigids, not the factory fog plug.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
I'll weigh in on this one. The floods will be worthless in any capacity as fog lights. The beam spread is too vast. I have a set on my JCR bumper wired to a switch and I barely turn them on because they blind oncoming traffic. Spots would have been a better choice for normal use. On the trail however, the floods work awesome to add additional light where you need it.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm bringing this one back.

I'm toying with the idea of putting rigid led's in to replace the stock fog's.

Which would be a more appropriate choice?

Dually Spot's

or

D2 Driving lights?

·
I Put the FU in FUN
4,254 Posts
I'm bringing this one back.

I'm toying with the idea of putting rigid led's in to replace the stock fog's.

Which would be a more appropriate choice?

Dually Spot's

or

D2 Driving lights?
Mine are "Rigid Industries Dually D2 LED Lights - White Driving Beam Pair"

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the d2s driving pattern In my fogs and love them!!!!!
Mine are "Rigid Industries Dually D2 LED Lights - White Driving Beam Pair"
It seems that those would be the better choice for that application based on what I'm seeing. The Dually Spots are more of a pencil beam where the D2 Driving lights cover a wider swath.

Damn, so much for trying to keep costs down. :suicide:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts