JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Remington Fieldmaster 572 pump action .22. Was straightening out the rifle safe and trying to organize it. Its in definite working condition but pretty beat up.

What can I expect to pay to get it cleaned up, maybe even replace the stock or fore end and possibly clean up the receiver? Just an over all tune up too.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
First I would say from your description of condition that your rifle is worth $80.00 or less, in 100% condition it would be approx. $170-195 having said that....Shop rates for a competent gunsmith run from $40-80 per man hour, clean and oil usually runs from 50-100 depending on complexity. Metal work (rust removal, re-bluing) can run upwards of $200. Then parts would add additional expense.
Should you just wish to remove minor surface rust check out Brownells.com item # 080-000-321AD Stainless steel sponge, great for removing rust...additionally they have all types of refinishing solutions many can be done safely at home for not much money.
You can also check lauerweaponry.com for duracoat, it is a paint for firearms, comes in every color and pattern, and the sell inexpensive kits to do it in your garage, very easy to do.
Check Numrich gun parts corporation, they have a great website and do stock factory replacement parts for your rifle, they have great schematic diagrams, however I checked the site and they are sold out of stock and forend, but they are always getting parts in. You have nothing to lose by trying it yourself.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the info! I realize I shouldnt have said beat up. Its in good condition; just hadnt seen it in yeeears and brushed all the dust off it. No rust. Needs a good cleaning. I took it shooting with my friend this morning and got a good hundred rounds out of it.

Im definitely gonna take a look at the supplies. Makes sense to get used to it and clean it myself. I know it would cost more than its worth but my grandfather bought it for my father so I want to keep it. Dont mind spending the money to get it right. My friend has a hell of an M16 .223 and I definitely enjoyed going to the range. Cheaper for me to refurb this one than get a whole new one.

Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Grandfather to father to you makes it all the more worth taking care of, and makes it priceless. For cleaning supplies check out Midwayusa.com a great source, also look into getting a book or two on firearm disassembly and schematics. Take your time, don’t tear it apart too much, and look how all the internals work together and watch out for those small springs that like to fly out and disappear. It's no hard than working on a jeep, just smaller. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree 100%. I'm gonna learn little by little and make my way. Thanks again for the help. :beer:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Couple years ago I pulled a Marlin 30-30 apart because it had spent a number of years in my dad's attic. It was actually rusted to the case.

I used a cold reblueing kit called "Blue Wonder" or "Wonder Blue". It worked well and if I had been a little more diligent on prep, I think it would have come out very nice. I cut a couple corners on the barrel and you can definately see them. Maybe next time. If you get to that level with your piece remember if you can see a pit or scratch it will be magnified 10 times when you reblue.

If your rifle is from a large manufacturer you can probably get the manual on line in a PDF file or there might be a "following" for them somewhere on the interweb.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.