JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to Rhino-line the tub ever since I got my Jeep. Researched some shops and decided to go with a shop about 2 1/2 hours away from my house due to a recommendation from another forum and after talking with the owner on several occasions. The shop is A-1 Rhino Lining in Colma, CA - ask for Jim. I was very impressed with this shop - the owner has a lifted mid-80s 4Runner that has seen its share of wheeling, so he has a good feel for the type of abuse that most off-road vehicles see. They have a lot of experience with Jeeps. My Jeep was only the second JK that they had done (first one was in the shop the week before mine), but that's 2 more than any other Rhino-lining shop I called in Northern California. Note that the JKs are quite a bit more difficult to prep than the TJ, so keep that in mind if a shop with no JK experience gives you a low quote to do the Jeep tub. Cost to do the tub, rockers panels, sliders, and bumpers was $1,200. That was with me removing the front passenger seat, center console, carpet, and plastic trim and the shop removing everything else (driver and rear seats, wiring harness, misc small trim bits, tuffy cargo cover). I am very happy with the job done and would easily recommend A-1 if you're in Northern Cal (I have no connection to this shop, by the way - just very impressed with their professionalism and work product). OK, enough of that, here's the pics (pics of rockers and bumpers to follow):

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. What did they smooth the squiggly filler material with?
They just sprayed the liner extra thick in those spots. Didn't completely smooth it out but I wasn't that worried about it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's some more pictures I got from the shop showing the prep:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rhino Lining

Just wondering how long your rig was at the shop. My JK is my daily driver so I am going to do all the prep work (except for the drivers seat) at home before I take it in. I just don't want to lose my jeep for a week.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wondering how long your rig was at the shop. My JK is my daily driver so I am going to do all the prep work (except for the drivers seat) at home before I take it in. I just don't want to lose my jeep for a week.
I left it there for a week because the shop was 3 hours from my house and I could only get down there on the weekends. I think it took them about a day to actually prep and spray the tub.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Dang it! I wish I knew that you lined your tub so I could get a good look at it. I pulled the carpet out months ago and the paint is strating to get chewed up. And the good thing for me is Colma is 30 minutes away

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah - it doesn't take much to wear down the paint on these JKs! I've been very happy with the Rhino-lining and would definitely recommend A-1 in Colma. Quality work and they've done several JKs now (JKs are not as easy to line as TJs).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Great Job.
I like it so much that I just booked mine in for Thursday. Yep 2 days from now with a shop here in So Cal. Rhino Linings in Santa Ana CA.

I have had them do work on another project vehicle and they did a great job.

Will let you know how this project turns out.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Any sound deadening gained from this? And does the lining rub off, or could it hurt my dogs somehow?

Thanks in advance.....
I have lined 2 Jeeps. Did one with the DIY stuff.....don't waste your money IMO.

Did my TJ in Rhino Lining and LOVED IT!!!!!

Cut down on sound a lot!!! (some depending on how thick the shop sprays it. So if you want sound deadening out of it tell them and they will spray it thicker).

My TJ on 37s with the hardtop on, and carpet in (winter time) was quieter than my stock WJ Grand Cherokee.

I have 2 big dogs and love the Rhino over some of the other brands because it come out a bit smoother to the touch, so it does not eat up the pads on teh dogs paws while they slip around the back on a trail.

I have the TJ done in tan Rhino to match the factory carpet, which was better for the dogs than the black DIY stuff I used years before. The sun would heat the black stuff up and make it uncomfortable for the dogs, the tan stayed nice and cool. I think I may have my black JK done in grey just for this reason.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What Cole said, except that I haven't noticed any sound deadening with mine. If anything it seems a little bit louder than with the carpet on. I agree that if you spray it thicker you might see some sound deadening benefits.

High use areas may wear down a bit over time, but I haven't noticed anything rubbing off since October. As Cole said, I would think Rhino lining would work great if you have dogs - it is much more rubbery than Line-X, which is more sandpapery, if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Dang it! I wish I knew that you lined your tub so I could get a good look at it. I pulled the carpet out months ago and the paint is strating to get chewed up. And the good thing for me is Colma is 30 minutes away
X2 wish I knew also.

Colma was my old stomping grounds. Lived in SSF when I was a kid. We used to play in the cemeteries. Colma is known for having the largest population of dead people in the world.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
X2 wish I knew also.

Colma was my old stomping grounds. Lived in SSF when I was a kid. We used to play in the cemeteries. Colma is known for having the largest population of dead people in the world.
Sounds like an excuse for another trail run!

·
Registered
430 Posts
After seeing this thread I liked it so much that I had mine lined on Thursday.
Same day turnaroud. I gave them the JK with everything removed except for the front drivers seat. Got it back late afternoon same day. There is a lot of prep work for the lining on a JK 4 door.

I am in So Cal so I had Phil over at Rhino Linings in Santa Ana, Orange County do it. (He's done other projects for me in the past.)

Here is a like to the page on another thread that shows the work.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7032&page=2

:beer:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.