JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So installed a new reverse light this weekend...

The light is a Vision X XIL-S1102 Solstice, which is a VERY well made product. In order to mount it, I simply ordered a 12" piece of 1" square of Aluminum 6061 from onlinementals which cost all of $5.88. After cutting it to size, I sprayed it with some black bedliner to make it disappear, and then simply drilled and tapped the spare tire mount for four 4-40 stainless socket head screws from miscrofasteners.

Havent wired it up yet....there are plenty of posts on here describing how to wire it, whether straight from my sPOD, or a dual setup that comes on with the regular reverse lights....thats your choice.

Hope you like....

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Havent wired it up yet....there are plenty of posts on here describing how to wire it, whether straight from my sPOD, or a dual setup that comes on with the regular reverse lights....thats your choice.

Hope you like....
what do you want to make it come on? just reverse, just a switch, both?
Let me know and I will tell you the easiest way to wire it.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Probably going to wire to cme on with reverse lights OR via a switch on the sPOD
problem is you cant run 2 positives to the same relay/switch without frying something.

get 2 relays and 2 relay plugs.
Remove the passenger side tail light.
Find a nice spot in there to mount both the relays.
Run a fused power from the battery all the way to your reverse light. 10a for that light will be overkill and fine. connect to the red wire.

Run a wire all the way from your SPOD to where the relays are.

the circut you will be completing with the relay is the ground.

this is the same for both relays.

30= Ground
87= ground wire from the aftermarket reverse light
86= ground

relay #1: 85 = power wire from SPOD
relay #2: 85 = blue/white/whatever wire going to the factory reverse light.

power from SPOD to relay 1 completes the ground and your LED goes on
power from blue/white/whateverthefuck wire from the reverse light to relay 2 does the same.
power to both does the same.

It is honestly the best and easiest way to do it I have found.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have a 55 watt fog light mounted exactly like that, with a switch.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
problem is you cant run 2 positives to the same relay/switch without frying something.

get 2 relays and 2 relay plugs.
Remove the passenger side tail light.
Find a nice spot in there to mount both the relays.
Run a fused power from the battery all the way to your reverse light. 10a for that light will be overkill and fine. connect to the red wire.

Run a wire all the way from your SPOD to where the relays are.

the circut you will be completing with the relay is the ground.

this is the same for both relays.

30= Ground
87= ground wire from the aftermarket reverse light
86= ground

relay #1: 85 = power wire from SPOD
relay #2: 85 = blue/white/whatever wire going to the factory reverse light.

power from SPOD to relay 1 completes the ground and your LED goes on
power from blue/white/whateverthefuck wire from the reverse light to relay 2 does the same.
power to both does the same.

It is honestly the best and easiest way to do it I have found.
we ran nick's aux reverse lights straight to his stock lights... didn't have an issue... well, not with that (submerging them killed them eventually lol)

thinking about it though, some relays would have made way more sense... but they're not on long enough to really matter.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
we ran nick's aux reverse lights straight to his stock lights... didn't have an issue... well, not with that (submerging them killed them eventually lol)

thinking about it though, some relays would have made way more sense... but they're not on long enough to really matter.
the stock wires really are not make to handle another 10 amps on them. (2 typical 55w lights) but for like LEDs it can handle them. I like to leave the stock JK wire ALONE and wire new with relay for everything :laughing:

The problem runs when you want 2 ways to turn on a light, then you just relay switch the ground.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just another option on ways to hook up your aux light.
I've got mine hooked up like this and it works great. I tapped into the stock reverse light wire where it runs along the drivers door side and ran that up to one side of a SPDT switch. I tapped off the hot lead coming from a fused battery source and ran that to the other terminal on the switch. The center terminal on the switch goes to the relay trigger. This lets you select for the aux back up light to come on when you put it in reverse or turn on manually when you want, or off. Only one relay is needed like this.

This is actually the switch I use. The jumper from term 2 to term 8 causes the indicator light on the switch
to illuminate when ever the aux reverse light comes on. http://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=V6DAF66B-00000-000
This is the rocker for it http://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=VVASC77-18B

Ran out of room for anymore switches on my header mounted Spod type switch box so went with the Rugged Ridge A pillar mount which worked out pretty nice other than the switches being sideways.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
All you would need to do is put a diode in to stop it from back feeding to the relay, I haven't put it on paper to verify but that would be my past experience with wiring multiple relays on car alarms in the past.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very nice, love how it remains out of the way and unseen for the most part.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I wired 2x 55w lights directly into the reverse wires on my tail lights
I wasnt too worried about extra draw on the tail light circuit since most trailer harnesses plug straight into the rear harness and power the trailer lights directly so there should be plenty of overhead figured into the circuit

been running that way for a long time with no problems

·
Registered
382 Posts
That is a very clean and professional looking mod! Great job!

I would love to see some pics of the lighting at night. A photo comparing the stock vs the modified would be great!

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
All you would need to do is put a diode in to stop it from back feeding to the relay, I haven't put it on paper to verify but that would be my past experience with wiring multiple relays on car alarms in the past.
I suck with diodes :laughing: *pop* "dammit" :laughing: that is why I stick with relays.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I ran the power for my LoD lights straight from the Driver's side reverse light wire. Fused, but no relay.
I didn't feel the need personally for the lights to come on with a seperate switch, so didn't go that route.
Haven't had any issues with this set up for nearly a year now. :beer:

I recently have been toying with adding the Pilot driving lights to my front bumper ....... the CANBUS does not like them wired straight into the stock driving light wires. They blink a few times, then the power gets shut off to them. No fuses blow, so must just be the computer shutting off power to them. Power to them gets restored after a few minutes, or a batt disconnect. So, a relay will be used there.

AMP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts