JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, my JK is my daily driver, so sadly I can't jack it up and get all wicked with my mods.

However, I feel every Jeep should have SOME lift on it at least though. My JK is currently stock with the stock 16" rims on it.

What would one recommend just as a mild starter lift? Maybe just a body lift? And I also need to keep the cost down as I have ALOT of bills to get caught up on (just got a salary increase after enduring a layoff and 3 years at a job with a paycut, and then they went and froze THEIR salaries! Cripes.).

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Definitely not a body lift. I've been running coil spacers for quite awhile now, off-roaded a bunch as well. Rough Country spacers seem to be the best bang for buck, with shock and brake line extensions the price is tough to beat. I even think they have a kit that comes with a rear track bar bracket and endlinks as well.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Just say no. Or rather hell no to body lifts!

Search teraflex budget boost.
2.5" spacer lift and be done

No reason not to responsibly mod a dd tho. Mines still my dd and it has a few things done to it ;)

Scratched into the wall with a dead iPhone.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
x whatever on the BB, cheap and it will get you some lift to fit bigger tires, and its small enough not to mess anything else up

·
Vendor
2,326 Posts
Just say no. Or rather hell no to body lifts!

Search teraflex budget boost.
2.5" spacer lift and be done

No reason not to responsibly mod a dd tho. Mines still my dd and it has a few things done to it ;)

Scratched into the wall with a dead iPhone.
That is great advice! You really need to NOT go the body lift route. For a lift, a nice Budget Boost is the way to go! You can get good gains from it and you can do it in a day in the driveway. That way, your not without your daily driver for a period of time.

There is also good start kits. These are a little more involved than a BB but it gives you room later to grow the kits or add to them as you see fit. Still budget minded and can still be installed in a day or so in the driveway.

Hope that helps. If there is anything else we can do for you, please let me know. Feel free to PM, email, or call!!

-Jason

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
x5 on the Budget Boost (aka Spring Spacer) route.
Relatively cheap, and very easy way to get a little bit of lift.

I have been running the Rough Country BB with shock extensions for a while now. I like the fact that they use metal spring spacers, versus poly/rubber.
It is a great way to get some lift, until you decide on/can afford a full up suspension lift.

And ....... I am also running a Daystar 1" body lift ......... Another easy way to gain some lift. Aside from the gap created between the body and the bumpers (less noticeable with aftermarket bumpers), I don't see anything wrong with them.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I am interested in hearing the rationale behind the negative comments about BL's. :beer:

AMP

·
Registered
660 Posts
With a body lift your jacking up the body on plastic blocks. Your giving your body leverage, so in the case of a front impact the whole body can move forward and snap of at the body mounts. That's worst case scenario of course, and not very likely with a one inch body lift but it is possible. Plus your not gaining much with a body lift besides a little room for bigger tires, why not just do a budget suspension lift and get some better off road capabilities.
I would never put a body lift on a jeep, a descent suspension lift is way to affordable.

I bought my jeep already lifted but it has a pretty inexpensive lift on it. Poly lift coils, 2.5 inch, and after market shocks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome guys, many thanks for the tips! I've had my JK for 3 years and I'm still excited about doing stuff to it! WOOT!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
With a body lift your jacking up the body on plastic blocks. Your giving your body leverage, so in the case of a front impact the whole body can move forward and snap of at the body mounts. That's worst case scenario of course, and not very likely with a one inch body lift but it is possible. Plus your not gaining much with a body lift besides a little room for bigger tires, why not just do a budget suspension lift and get some better off road capabilities.
I would never put a body lift on a jeep, a descent suspension lift is way to affordable.
I bought my jeep already lifted but it has a pretty inexpensive lift on it. Poly lift coils, 2.5 inch, and after market shocks.
In a severe collision, the added leverage could come into play. But you would have to be talking an extreme worst-case scenario impact/collision for the BL to snap off or the bolts to shear. Especially with a 1" BL. At that point, the damage to everything else on the vehicle would be so severe that the BL would be a moot point. With a lesser impact, I don't see a 1" BL coming into play at all. My .02.
Now, if you go with a 3" BL, I can see how that much leverage could lead to a failure in a collision.

Awesome guys, many thanks for the tips! I've had my JK for 3 years and I'm still excited about doing stuff to it! WOOT!
3 years, and no lift yet? Get busy!!! :laughing:

You are doing the right thing by asking questions and doing your research prior to modding.

Keep us posted on what you decide, and post pix of the JK when you get lifted! :beer:

AMP

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Another route you could go is the stock springs from a 4Dr Rubi. That'll boost a 2DR X up about an inch or more, then you add a few pucks for more space on your springs & really max it out for the money.

I ended up going with springs and shocks just because I really wanted em. Prolly would have been a ton cheaper, but now I have a beefier rear trackbar mount that's welded in place, a better front trackbar that's adjustable up to 5", discos that can run the same height and brakeline relos that will allow me to get pretty high without needing all new lines. I only wanted to boost it a bit, but knowing me, down the road... I will want MOAR.

Mine's a DD too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another route you could go is the stock springs from a 4Dr Rubi. That'll boost a 2DR X up about an inch or more, then you add a few pucks for more space on your springs & really max it out for the money.

I ended up going with springs and shocks just because I really wanted em. Prolly would have been a ton cheaper, but now I have a beefier rear trackbar mount that's welded in place, a better front trackbar that's adjustable up to 5", discos that can run the same height and brakeline relos that will allow me to get pretty high without needing all new lines. I only wanted to boost it a bit, but knowing me, down the road... I will want MOAR.

Mine's a DD too.
Thanks for the tips- mine's actually a 4-door JKU, so I don't know if the springs on it are the same as the 4-door Rubi or not.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interesting! This is much cheaper than the "budget boost" by over 300 bucks too. I wonder how much this actually lifts the vehicle?
the rough country budget boost is only $139 so it is only $6 cheaper and it also levels

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
FWIW, I was in the same boat starting out (looking for a cheaper lift) and was going to go with a BB lift. I'm really glad I didn't though because I saved for a few months longer and went with the Rock Krawler Stock Mod, which is essentially a coil lift. I was thrilled with the ride quality, and it has allowed me to upgrade as my budget has allowed. I'm currently working toward a LCG rig running 37's and couldn't be happier. Just something to think about. Good luck whatever you do :beer:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Look in the for sale sections and see if anyone is selling their stuff and save some money.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
notherone...my JK is a DD too and my future hope is to do a RK lift and 35's but for now need to keep it mild. I started off with the 16" steelies and 29" GY all seasons and kept that up for 1.5 yrs, did some wheelin with the stock set up, no rock crawling just some trails in the woods, a little mud, some steep inclines and the beach. All I did was install 3/4" leveling spacers, procomp 7069's and 32x10.5 Wrangler Duratracs...what a difference! And I did not spend a whole lot hopefully making it easier for me to justify the bigger tires and true coil spring lift later on.

before...

after....

It is not as aggressive as most of the forum members rigs but it works perfectly for what I need. It is nearly impossible to resist the desire to go big when reading posts and seeing all the photos of all the other JK's in this forum...

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I have personally installed several teraflex BBs, get the kit with the shock extenders if you want to save a few bucks,
their kit is complete - has sway bar links, bump stop extensions and brake line drop brackets, the quality is great and they work.
some of the super cheap kits are just 4 pucks
thats all
nothing to address the shocks, sway bars or brake lines, but they are cheaper.

the spacer lifts work great until you add a winch/steel bumper combo, then the front starts sagging because the stock springs arent up to the task.

body lifts, I just have no use for
they will let you run slightly larger tires, but you don't gain any ground clearance from the lift - adding an inch of suspension lift nets you the ground clearance from the lift AND the tires.
plus the gap looks funny, etc etc

1 - 20 of 28 Posts