JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace the stock shift knob on a manual 6 speed 2012 JK. It's a little too blingy for my taste. I found a drake shifter that looks good, only problem is I can find any instructions to do this. I did a search and found nothing. Can anyone help with this.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Place a crescent wrench right under the knob, and with a rubber mallet smack the wrench upwards repeatedly until it comes off.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Try this first. Take a flat head screw driver and pry off the top medallion. It should expose a nut. Remove nut and pull off the knob. If there is no nut, follow the guide above.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
unless they changed it on the 12's - and I'm pretty sure they didn't, there is no nut and you'll just be killing your knob.
JKs are snap on.

like was said above, put a wrench under it and smack the crap out of the wrench upwards - when it pops off, it will go flying.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
4x4 shift knob can be disassembled but as stated above the 6 speed knob has to be smacked off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can do that, but I was reading that can mess up the gears below. The way you are actually suppose to do it is...
1. pry off the top part of the knob.
2. saw off the top part
3. remove little metal piece.
(This is what the stick looks like. They are both them same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like to replace the stock shift knob on a manual 6 speed 2012 JK. It's a little too blingy for my taste. I found a drake shifter that looks good, only problem is I can find any instructions to do this. I did a search and found nothing. Can anyone help with this.
There are directions on the various sites that sell the Drake shift knob. No mention of beating the thing with a hammer. It says something to the effect of using a screwdriver to pry the lower portion of the stock knob to expose a hex screw - loosen it - slide it off. I have no idea how the transfer case knob come off. I have one of each ordered for my 2012 auto.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just hit 2nd gear hard racing a moped. That's how I did it and came off in my hand.:)

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Just hit 2nd gear hard racing a moped. That's how I did it and came off in my hand.:)
You must have pulled hard because you were losing.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts