JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my AC compressor is shot due to mud/water getting in it. the dealer wants to charge me 1000$ to fix it..i think not. I found a basically brand new AC compressor for 100$ off a wrecked JK so now I just need to install it. however i'm having a hard time finding any info on how to go about doing this. I have some wrenching experience and can follow directions just fine. But I have no idea where to start with this. from what i understand i need to drain the freeon from the old compressor and then unbolt and replace with the new one. Has anyone done this before and can give me some tips? or point me in the right direction of where to find info on how to do this? Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
They have to depressure the system and re pressure it best advixe is to take it to a local mechanic and have him swap them for ya.. still a little pricey but not 1000s like the stealerships

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
The freon needs to be properly evacuated. R-134a won't harm the ozone like R-12 but it is poisonous. :eek: Also, you would need to put a vacuum pump on the system to remove moisture. And finally, it would need to be refilled properly. Too much freon added will either cause the system not to work properly or damage your new compressor.

In other words, even though the physical part of removing and replacing a compressor is quite easy, it's best to let an A/C certified mechanic do it.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
The freon needs to be properly evacuated. R-134a won't harm the ozone like R-12 but it is poisonous. :eek: Also, you would need to put a vacuum pump on the system to remove moisture. And finally, it would need to be refilled properly. Too much freon added will either cause the system not to work properly or damage your new compressor.

In other words, even though the physical part of removing and replacing a compressor is quite easy, it's best to let an A/C certified mechanic do it.
x2 let a mechanic do it. I had the dealer do mine for 750 was better then their initial price of 925

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
The dealer will charge you over 6-700 for the compressor alone....
The labor is not that bad. I think its 160 for a recharge. (sucks i know but better than 1000)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I haven't replaced a compressor, but did replace lines on my wife's car recently. I believe the only difference is that you must make sure the compressor has X amount of oil in it, and never set it in a position other than the way it mounts (to keep the oil where it is supposed to be).

Evacuating the system and adding freon is not bad at all with the proper tools. Around here AutoZone has a loan-a-tool deal where you basically buy the tool, use it, and take it back for a full refund.

You need a vacuum pump capable of pulling 29" of vacuum and a manifold gauge set. At AutoZone, it was $200 for the pump and $100 for the gauge set. So, without the loaner / refund deal - it wouldn't be worth doing yourself.

I pulled vacuum 3 or 4 times just to make sure there were no leaks and all the moisture was gone. Wait 15-20 mins each time to make sure the pressure holds steady.

The gauge set had instructions on it, which you should be able to find online. The brand was MasterCool. I can't seem to find them right now :)

I recommend getting an extra freon can tap so you can bleed the fill hose prior to charging the system. The set comes with one, but when you unhook the fill line from the vacuum pump, air will get in the line - and you don't want that getting into your system.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
AC? whats that for?:thefinger:

but anyway i do HVAC for a living and you really need to know what your doing to do this, sure anyone can rip one out and throw a new one in, but properly evacuating and charging the refrigerant lines is extremely important, if done wrong you could just burn up the compressor again, or your ac wont work very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts