JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Looks pretty slick and easy, Dan. Only question I have is: what happens if you have a winch?

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Looks pretty slick and easy, Dan. Only question I have is: what happens if you have a winch?
Depending on how much room you have between the winch and your grill you will likely need to remove the winch to get the grill off.

I know before I had my winch mounted inside my bumper I had to pull it off to get the grill off to paint it. I only had 1/4 inch of clearance and probably could have gotten by if I had a full inch, not really sure though.

Great write up btw Dan. I'm sure it will come in handy for a few people.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I would imagine you'd have to remove it. If you look at the full frontal shot above, you'll see my lightbar in front of the passenger tire. Had to pull it to gain enough clearance for grille removal. I would imagine it would be the same deal for those who have a winch as well.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would imagine you'd have to remove it. If you look at the full frontal shot above, you'll see my lightbar in front of the passenger tire. Had to pull it to gain enough clearance for grille removal. I would imagine it would be the same deal for those who have a winch as well.
I really don't want to see your "full frontal" :thefinger:

But yeah, I gotcha. Awesome writeup.

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
You don't actually have to remove the grill. While I've removed mine on occasion, I've frequently just popped the top clips and leaned it forward. This gave me more than enough room to pull the headlights.

Although I'm doing this on a stock JK. I think I would have still had room on my 07 JK which had a winch on a Warn bumper.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
yea as soon as I finished installing my winch the first thing I thought of was having to remove it all to do headlights :(

I am not looking forward to pulling the bumper off to install new lights, but gonna have to.
(cant get winch off without removing the bumper)

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
yea as soon as I finished installing my winch the first thing I thought of was having to remove it all to do headlights :(

I am not looking forward to pulling the bumper off to install new lights, but gonna have to.
(cant get winch off without removing the bumper)
I removed my headlights without removing my grille, my BFH and winch won't let the grille out. It's possible.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed my headlights without removing my grille, my BFH and winch won't let the grille out. It's possible.
Well whatever you do, you just keep the how to on that one to yourself.

Cant have these people runnin around JKO learning stuff:D

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Dan, if you twist the turn signal housings they come out of the grill. Much easier IMO than unclipping the connectors.

If you have a winch installed you do need about 3/4-inch clearance between the winch and the grill in order to get the clips to disengage, then you can pull the grill straight up and the clips will bend slightly and come out of the slots. Getting them back into place requires a little persuasion with a large, slotted screwdriver.

If you don't have 3/4" of clearance you can just cut the two middle clips and center positioning nub off the bottom of the grill. There are still two clips outboard of where the winch interferes, which (with the plastic rivets on top) should hold the grill in place. Just pull out the two lower corners and slide the entire grill up and out.

That might even work for Goody if you've got enough clearance behind your hoop to pull the lower corners and the slide the grill upwards.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
As stated.. it's possible with a little working the angles. Not a big deal at all - I am sure that some are tougher to get out than others. I am running a Big Ass powerplant on a BFH bumper and can get it removed easy enough.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
was looking at it tonight. looks like you could almost do it from the engine bay. If you remove the air filter for pass side. The driver side may be tough with the horn in the way....

how did you?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
did mine today without removing winch/bumper.

I was able to get it loose enough to fit a short T15 driver in and remove it all. easy enough.

Put in the Phillips Xtreme + 80

1 - 15 of 15 Posts