JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing a new stereo system due to the total unreliability of the Mygig unit. I have purchased a new Pioneer Premier avic f90bt. I will be installing an Alpine pdx5 in the factory amp location, which leads me to my question...

Will I need to buy the Metra canbus harness if I plan to remove the factory amp, or can I use the standard non-can bus harness? I'm just trying to get all of my ducks in a row, & I appreciate the info!
:beer::beer::beer:

Brandon

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
if you are going to bypass the amp you can just use the normal harness and just run new speaker wire to each speaker

that is what i am going to do i run the canbus harness now and it sounds like **** if you ask me

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What sort of issues did you have with the MyGig? Are you going to sell it?
I already did. My problem was the flash to add the Mygig wouldnt take for more than 2 weeks, so the can bus and mygig didn't talk all the time. My radio was brand new too, and it was a real PITA to reset the computer everytime I wanted to use the radio.

if you are going to bypass the amp you can just use the normal harness and just run new speaker wire to each speaker

that is what i am going to do i run the canbus harness now and it sounds like **** if you ask me
Good deal, I've asked several people and got conflicting answers all around. This is what I thought too. I appreciate the first hand info, Dirty. :beer:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
run new everything. why upgrade the head unit and amp and be stuck with crappy wire.

Is that amp going to fit there? the factory amp is tiny.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
im just going to leave the factory amp in place and run all new power ignition and speaker wires

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the smallest 5 channel amp that I've found, and I've heard that it fits there no problem. There's actually a decent amount of room down there, and the pdx5 has front end controls, so all you have to do is pop the panel to adjust the sound. It should be well protected from the weather and from POS thieves too. I'm trying to make this install as hidden as possible for both of those reasons.

Thanks again for the info fellas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts