JKOwners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Interesting cause this video proves all of you that run without a rear sway bar wrong. However, I have not taken mine off so I cannot truly comment the effects.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Too bad he does not know that he is driving a wrangler not a cherokee and he runs crap RK suspensions.
You are better off to run both front and rear sway bars unless you are only articulating a couple inches.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Too bad he does not know that he is driving a wrangler not a cherokee and he runs crap RK suspensions.
You are better off to run both front and rear sway bars unless you are only articulating a couple inches.
Dude you're back. Glad to see you back on this forum.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Interesting cause this video proves all of you that run without a rear sway bar wrong. However, I have not taken mine off so I cannot truly comment the effects.

Too bad the guy in this video is wrong! His bumpstops weren't' setup correctly and the sway bar limited his travel; so he didn't realize his bumpstops weren't setup correctly. If he had the bumpstops setup correctly he wouldn't have some of the issues he talked about. I won't argue whether removing rear sway bar is right or wrong. A lot of that depends on driving style and setup. There are benefits an drawbacks to either option; just decided what is important to you and your driving style.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Contradicting what I posted five years ago, on the advice of some guys working the Metacloak flex trailer in Moab a few years ago, I pulled off the rear bar completely. BAsically there's no noticeable change to street handling and I gained quite a bit of rear flex on the trail without any objectionable increase in body roll. I run a Teraflex Dual Rate front bar.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I recently removed my rear sway bar on my 2 door and I gained a lot more flex. I noticed a minor difference on the road the first time I drove it, but it wasn't bad enough for me to put it back on yet. I had to clearance my gas tank skid plate and I had to trim my rear wheel wells more due to the extra articulation. I haven't taken it on enough trails yet to decide if I prefer the extra articulation or more stability in off camber situations.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Too bad the guy in this video is wrong! His bumpstops weren't' setup correctly and the sway bar limited his travel; so he didn't realize his bumpstops weren't setup correctly. If he had the bumpstops setup correctly he wouldn't have some of the issues he talked about.
^ This

That's a very blanket statement for all the different set ups of suspensions.

A sway bar is just like adding a progressive spring when off camber or turning. It's going to depend on a host of other factors like spring rate, uptravel, lift height, rig weight, and terrain. Add in sway arm length and thickness if you're using an aftermarket bar.

There's a reason the race guys have argued stiff spring vs stiff bar forever.

For the Metalcloak springs, in an average weight rig, they are stiff enough that, together with the stock rear bar, you won't compress them all the way even with all the weight on only 2 opposing wheels. (Not to mention trying to find clearance for the bar arms around brake line brackets if you've got enough uptravel). So if you want to use that uptravel, you've gotta have the right suspension frequency / spring rate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didn’t like the idea of completely ditching it, so I got the Synergy sway bar relocation brackets. Drops the bar 1 inch and moves it back 1 1/2 inches. The only downside really is you can’t use it with the stock muffler. I managed to finagle it in there while using the stock muffler, but most people won’t want to do what I did which was to remove the muffler, put the relo brackets on, then put the muffler back on but relocated rearward by about 1 inch which was quite a fight because of the hangers, but I don’t want a loud exhaust. I want to be able to hear anything going on in my suspension or driveshafts.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts