JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't find anything... Does anyone wheel w/o a rear sway bar? I just took mine off today to check the street manners. (I still have the front sway bar hooked up of course).

Any danger or cons with no rear sway bar off-road? I will be bump stopped correctly according to shock travel. My rear springs are secured to the axle. Anything I should worry about?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I did a search and didn't find anything... Does anyone wheel w/o a rear sway bar? I just took mine off today to check the street manners. (I still have the front sway bar hooked up of course).

Any danger or cons with no rear sway bar off-road? I will be bump stopped correctly according to shock travel. My rear springs are secured to the axle. Anything I should worry about?
Just on off camber stuff gets a little scary! More body roll.....but driving on the street feels fine. I've run without a rear swaybar for a 1 and half now. The springs won't unseat unless your shocks are too long.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
You will feel a small difference with it off.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just on off camber stuff gets a little scary! More body roll.....but driving on the street feels fine. I've run without a rear swaybar for a 1 and half now. The springs won't unseat unless your shocks are too long.
You think its too dangerous off road? I'm just trying to get the best flex out of the rear.. I have a good amount of travel in my shocks that is being limited by the rear sway bar I think.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You think its too dangerous off road? I'm just trying to get the best flex out of the rear.. I have a good amount of travel in my shocks that is being limited by the rear sway bar I think.
I'm running rear shocks with 12" travel and able to use all of it wih the factory rear swaybar connected. If your swaybar is limiting your travel go over your set up and definitely make sure the links are long enough. Don't disconnect it cause you should not be limited by it and when you disconnect the front it'll be the only thing holding your jeep somewhat level.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My rear sway bar had been disconnected for about a year now, disconnected it to install new springs and just never reconnected it. Up front I have TF street/trail sway bar, it's the same as the Currie AntiRock just cheaper.

My rear sway bar was not my limiting factor of my rear travel. Just too lazy to reconnect it since I'm fine with how it handles right now.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I don't ever plan on putting one back on....I don't find it to be too unsafe!

·
Registered
631 Posts
You literally gain nothing by removing it. However, you lose the countering effect offered by opposing bars.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
No reason to remove it. It's very thin and what you gain will not outweigh what you lose. Of course, certain rigs will be different.

I had a buddy with a 2 door on 37's, covered in armor, spare mounted high in the back of the tub, very top heavy. He pushed his axle back and to push the swaybar back he used only 2 of the holes and never took the 20 minutes to drill 2 more holes and run some bolts. The first time he flexed it ripped the bracket apart. We removed it for the trip. The first time he got off camber the body wanted to keep going over, until it hit his terribly designed bumpstops, which broke. We had to pull him off the trail because he simply couldnt make it up with one tire stuffed up in his fender.

I have also seen a bone stock 2 door that had one of the swaybar bolts come off at the axle, it leaned like crazy. On flat ground it was 3 inches lower on the passenger side. When I put my axles in I made new swaybar links and cut one of them 1.5" shorter to level the jeep.

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
i just redid the old, tired, lacking any useful quality OEM rear SB bushings at 80k with Energy prothane whatevers ( greased the [email protected] outta them first) on my 3" lifted '11 4 door and it made a world of difference on&off road. JMPO, but I like having the flimsy thing back there to mitigate rolling of the body back and forth. I have the Synergy 3" coils all way around and didnt want my shocks and weak- but raised -rear TB + 2" synergy bumpstop boxes being the only things countering body roll on my jku. .... on road to tril ride is world of differnce with them

·
Registered
570 Posts
I ran without the rear and couldn't tell a difference on road. Off-road, I liked it better without. I was running pressurized shocks though (6 paks), so that may have made a difference.

I don't run any sway bars now and it drives great.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all, I've put the rear bar back on. I run a rear spare and want to avoid being top heavy and have some stability in off camber situations. Sounds like it isn't worth it at all. Nothing is worth risking a tip over.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I pulled mine off (2 door) for a while while I was screwing around with things and it didn't seem noticeably worse on road or off (I was used to driving a land barge aka nissan y60 patrol off road and so crazy body angles and movement were fairly standard for me).

That was until I had to swerve to avoid a crash on road.

I put it back on the next day. ESP (roll mitigation) activated way too early. Nearly shit myself. :eek:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Best to run some form of roll control front & rear. For the trail stock front is too stiff, but great on road. Dual rate bars like ORO, Teraflex get it done. In the rear the stock bar adds just enough resistance to stop that uncontrolled tippy movement off camber and to balance against weight transfer. Better solution is Curries Anti-Rock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
I have no rear sway bar, but only because I painted myself into a corner with the screwy shit I did stretching the rear. It's OK w/o the rear bar because my back is lifted ~2.5" but rear TB is up ~4.75" at the axle (my rear roll center is effectively higher than stock).

Reinstalling the rear sway bar would help my Jeep corner at speed (it does OK as-is :smokin:), and would make off-camber shit less freaky (especially when the driver's side is downhill). Running the factory rear sway bar costs you mostly "bullshit flex" in the rear (sorry RTI ramp whores, but a wheel touching the ground does jack shit without some weight on it). In exchange for costing that useless rear flex, the rear sway bar forces your front suspension to flex more, and it can reduce rear wheel hop (that can cost progress or even axle shafts) on climbs.

Disclaimer: I'm nobody's extreme crawler or chassis expert, so don't get all butthurt if my opinion doesn't match yours.
Feel free to disagree, but I'm keeping my opinions unless you present some science to the contrary. :thefinger:

If I could fit it back in, I would reinstall the factory rear sway bar. Some day, I may move shit around to enable that or at least an AntiRock. That "some day" is not this week because my junk does what I need it to for now, and I reserve the right to be a lazy bastard about fixing unbroken shit. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts