JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got all of the parts for the soft top from the dealer and I got it installed today!!!!:bounce:...Now I am planning on removing the doors on the JK tomorrow since the next 4 days are suppose be VERY nice...I already installed the mirror relocation brackets and I know how to get the front doors off...How do I get the wiring disconnected for the rear doors?...Also, what is the best way to store the doors while they are off?...I was thinking of maybe using some heavy duty metal shelf brackets that you can get at Lowe's and then wrapping them in fabric before hanging the doors on them, does this sound okay?...Thanks for the help...:D

:beer:

Todd

A

·
0 Posts
There’s a 4 inch by 3 inch removable plastic piece at the bottom of the B pillar to access to electrical plug and door strap.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s a 4 inch by 3 inch removable plastic piece at the bottom of the B pillar to access to electrical plug and door strap.
That is what I thought...I noticed it and thought that I would be able to access the plug but before I start prying I thought I would ask and make sure...Thanks.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Thank goodness for half doors...I don't have to remove anyhing

·
Registered
783 Posts
where did you get the mirror brackets?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had some issues w/ the electrical connects on the doors - primarily, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to remove them, until I broke one and it became obvious. =) It's easier to practice w/ the rear hardtop connection, if you have it. Just slide the red piece over, and then _press down on the little black tab_ (the part it took me forever to get figured out, it seems) and pull.

I store mine by just leaning them against the wall, a towel on the floor and one between each door.

!c

A

·
0 Posts
Thank goodness for half doors...I don't have to remove anyhing
I have half doors too but I've been taking the front doors off (leaving the rears on). It looks like a truck (sort of) and stops things flying out the back. It only takes a couple of minutes to take the front doors off and it definitely is more fun than just the half door.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where did you get the mirror brackets?
Q-Tec...After installing them and driving it home from work with the mirrors moved toward the grill about 6" and down 1" the pass side is nearly useless when the doors are on...I have an idea about how I can move the pass side back a few inches for better visability when the doors are on...Other than that, they are great...

Todd

·
Registered
19 Posts
A tip to disconnect the wiring harness. Slide the red tab to the right then grab the harness from the bottom with your thumb in the front and your forefinger in the back and squeeze them together and at the same time pull down. The harness should easily disconnect. The harness for the back doors are under the plastic panel between the front and back door.

Some tips on removing the doors. Make sure that you have the windows down when you remove them. It will be a lot easier to grab and lift them. Also, don't forget to disconnect the door straps/stops before you try to lift the door off - but don't disconnect them too early so that your doors swing all the way open and hit your front fender (or mirrors if they have been relocated to the windshield bracket).

I fully unzip and open up a few sleeping bags and lay my doors down on them in my garage - so that they don't get damaged/scratched.

Post up some doorless pics when you are done! Here is mine with my Warrior tube doors with mesh inserts.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Top Off & Doors Off!!!

Well, I had a hard time getting the front door pins off but WD-40 took care of that...Here are a few pics...

:beer:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see you've got a booster in the back seat. If you don't mind my asking, how old is your child? My son is just about 5 and I want to pull the doors off... but I worry a wee bit.
They are 5 & 6...I make sure "I" buckle them in and I only go for shorts rides throught the country...No highways...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 3 kids, 4, 7 and 10 and I ALWAYS leave the rear doors on when they are in the car. I would not trust the Tube Doors at all with the kids - even on rural roads - but that is just me. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am going on maiden voyage in the rubi. sat. a.m. around lake silverwood and taking doors and top off tonite (gotta do it). just discovered this thread great timing. May be a funny ? but I would asume when the door is unplugged it shuts off door chime.:) Thanks for any input Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts