JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, since getting the wife's new JK, it's left the TJ prime for more wheeling. What I'm trying to do is remove the hood bolts to put on the Hi-Lift mount I got, but just trying a couple I can see they aren't budging, and I don't want to strip even one.

SO, what's the secret to breaking them loose??

Thanks!

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Dang, I might be tempted to use my cordless impact wrench on it. They might have been put on with some thread locker. So now I'm thinking..... Blow dryer (or shrink tube gun) to heat them up (but not enough to hurt the paint) then the impact. Yeah, that's what I'd try. Good luck:beer:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I'd imagine the paint is giving you a little fuss. May not be a bad idea to run an exacto knife around the bolt head to keep paint from chipping off from around the hinge. Push down pretty snug with an impact and get it. With any torx/allex you want to give an impact some tension when using it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had the same problem. I used a 1/2" drive ratchet, make SURE you've got the correct size torx...I'm right handed so I used my left hand to firmly apply downward pressure on the bit end of the ratchet and very steadily increased pulling pressure on the handle of the ratchet. As long as than bit stays all the way in the bolt, it won't strip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts