JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I tried to replace my exhaust with a dynomax. I started with loosening the clamp at the exhaust pipe first after the Y-pipe. However, for the life of me, I could NOT pry off the rubber isolator from the steel rod welded to the exhaust pipe. Does anyone have a video or a trick to doing this?

Thanks

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I sprayed it w/ WD40. I couldn't get it off with a pry bar. I really wrenched on it too, and it would just not come off. Am looking for tricks that others use.

· Random Dude
3,036 Posts
Yep I sprayed it w/ WD40. I couldn't get it off with a pry bar. I really wrenched on it too, and it would just not come off. Am looking for tricks that others use.
Lube it like they said, and pry harder like they said, and here's what worked for me:

Shove an open-end wrench between the rubber frustrator and the washer portion of the hanger, with the wrench's open end straddling the rod of the hanger like a pickle fork.
Use the wrench as a prybar. Once that first wrench doesn't quite do it, shove another wrench in next to it and pry again.
Now, it'll pop right off, because you've taken up all the freeplay and springback room.

There's probably an easier way, but this was my first successful way.

· Registered
202 Posts
Big pair of channel locks can work also if you have the room. But like others said pry harder! Are you using a big pry bar?

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big pair of channel locks can work also if you have the room. But like others said pry harder! Are you using a big pry bar?
The one I was using was 12 inches. I will buy a 24" or 36" one today and try that.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I got it off and replaced today. Seriously, what a pain in the ass getting the factory one off is. Glad it's over, sounds great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.