JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a Remote Start Kit for a 6 speed manual transmission, Or if anyone in the Chicagoland area will wire one up

·
Registered
979 Posts
You can buy remote start kits for vehicles with a manual transmission, just not as common.

You'll also have to cut into the wiring harness of your Jeep... have to bypass the clutch safety and stuff.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Your only option might be to DIY from an aftermarket kit (and bypass the clutch interlock as 2Door mentioned).
The reason the factory won't offer it, and most installers wouldn't touch it, is liability:eek:.​

If you remote-start in gear and your Jeep mows down a flock of nuns, your insurance is going to sue everyone to recover costs.
If you DIY this, don't remote-start in gear (and mow down a flock of nuns) or you're on the hook alone for all of the consequences.
Also, even if you never decimate a gaggle of penguins, you're responsible for anyone who drives or buys your Jeep with your safety override.
^^^ Just a bit of food for thought as you weigh the risk-vs.-reward of this upgrade.​

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankx. I kinda figured it was something along the lines of that. I just don't get how in this day and age they can't make something in the transmission that senses that its in gear and put a kill switch to the remote start.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Thankx. I kinda figured it was something along the lines of that. I just don't get how in this day and age they can't make something in the transmission that senses that its in gear and put a kill switch to the remote start.
Oh, that's totally possible, but they may not sell enough of that option to justify tooling up to do it.

I'll bet the auto manufacturers are guessing all the lazy bastards who want cushy accessories bought automatics :laughing: :shitstorm:

·
Registered
564 Posts
a decent audio shop that does alarms can do a setup that involve magnets on your shifter to where a relay is only activated while the shifter is in neutral.

Or you can just buy an aftermarket remote start with an accelerometer in it. Basically if the jeep is in gear it senses the movement and shuts off the remote start until you put the key back in the ignition.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
If you're in the Chicagoland area call over to Abt Elecronics in Glenview and ask for John in car audio, he's the shop manager. If anyone can make it work, his shop can. I talked to him a few months ago about doing a basic system on my Jeep which also has a 6 speed. He said it is doable, but a pain in the ass with some of the things they need to do to trick the computer because of the computer and can-bus system. Once I learned it was going to be upwards of $750+ I decided it wasn't worth it for me.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Good luck. I've thought about it before, but I always leave my Jeep in gear. The POS parking brake won't keep the jeep planted, especially at any type of incline.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Jeep came with a sticker that looked factory warning of a factory installed remote start. Something along the lines of: Warning - This manual transmission equipped vehicle comes equipped with a factory installed remote start.

I would take a picture, but that sticker got washed away with a pressure washer. I've requested a build sheet from Jeep to see if that is in fact true.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
@ badsbrd Does your key have a remote start button?

·
Registered
210 Posts
A few (generous) years back when I was doing this sort of work I installed a remote start on my manual transmission vehicle.

The way it was designed to function was as follows:

• Park vehicle, put in neutral and engage e-brake.
  • Before shutting down engine, push the designated button on the remote and wait for the remote start to engage
  • Once you see/hear 2 light flashes, turn the key off and remove from the ignition... the engine should remain on.
  • Get out and close the doors as normal.
  • Lock/arm the vehicle, at which point the engine would shut off.
  • The remote start system was then "active" and would start the vehicle after pressing the designated button.
If the vehicle was opened or operated in any way after this process was completed the remote start would not operate. It was a decent application of forcing the user to behave safely.

That being said, it was easy to override the system during the install in order for it to function all the time. I wouldn't recommend it as it's one of those "only a matter of time" kind of events.

All in all, it was too much of a hassle for me to have any desire to do again. I'd rather just pre-heat when possible or be cold for 5 minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts