JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I wired my light bar to my high beams today and I used a relay where the high beam power, Powers the relay to allow 12 volt constant to the lights..... Now when I use the high beam, it turns on the light bar but a relay is chattering inside the cab of the wrangler.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Pretty common occurance with the CanBus controlled PWM headlight circuit. TRS/Morimoto builds a pretty insane control harness to overcome this problem when running HID projector headlights basically doing the same thing you're doing. This is a review off their site for that harness. So you aren't alone.

I personally wouldn't tie anything into the PWM controlled lighting circuits on a Mopar vehicles for the reason you're experiencing. That chatter is being caused by the pulsing of current to determine bulb/circuit conditions for protection and indication of a problem. The TRS harness employs a capacitor, load resistors, and a relay control box to overcome this issue. The LED anti-flicker modules you see for TL, KC, Peterson, and JW are similar in construction.

I don't believe there is a simple solution to what you're experiencing other than to modify an anti-flicker harness or start messing around with resistors/capacitors on the coil circuit for the relay to smooth out those pulses.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JKCTAZ, I guess I'll unhook the relay till I find a solution and use my switch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well JKCTAZ, if I used the wire coming from my hid kit relay to the high beam projector high beam arm (the tiny red and black wires) to close the relay to my light bar I should be fine?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
I would tap the output of your relay harness before i'd tap the H13 side of your factory plug for sure. What HID setup are you using?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a complete set, headlights and fog lights, from hidprojectors.com. pic in my Album. I'm gonna try that tomorrow. Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soon switching to led bulbs for all, also from the same guy. 15% less output, but better lighting I think

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, glad to report that hooking the wire to the high beam AFTER the hid relay worked like a charm ?.
No more chatter

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Glad that worked out for ya. :beer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts