JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching all over the net for an aftermarket rollbar reinforcement kit to add to the JK 4 door. I've found one, and it is a modification bolt and screw set up that runs across the front compartment. May be acceptable, but thought there might be something else out there more aggressive in protecting the occupants of the Wrangler.

Anyone know of another source to compare? Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
No knowone wants to touch that, I've requested prices from local jeep fab shops and they won't touch it or say it would be about 3k at least. I just bought the Rock Hard bolt on like you're talking about, not because I think it will save my jeep but with my 6yr old with me if we got in a roll situation and he was killed I couldn't live with myself knowing there was at least some protection out there and I didn't buy it or bought a rear bumper instead.
I would recommend at least something even for your own sake if you don't want to put a bolt on cage in at least set seats for 5point harnesses. I'm a firm believer in it because I was part of a rescue where they had neither and the passanger was scalped and lost his ear.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I have the RockHard4x4 sport cage and very happy with it, haven't given it the ultimate test yet, but hopefully never will. After a little flop and a few close calls I decided a bolt in was better than nothing and installed the RockHard4x4 sport cage, rear center bar, and the padding kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Phil, I have been looking at this add on and was wondering how doe the cage fix to the bulkhead.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Looks like the support from the front tube to the rear is off center, am I seeing this right? Maybe for access to the freedom top latches? Also, does the lower dash bar interfer with the defroster?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Phil, I have been looking at this add on and was wondering how doe the cage fix to the bulkhead.
Three bolts along the door seam. It's the weakest point of the whole thing in my view and one day I'll get around to running some supports down to a floor plate. But even without that, it braces and reinforces the stock cage pretty well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the RockHard4x4 sport cage and very happy with it, haven't given it the ultimate test yet, but hopefully never will. After a little flop and a few close calls I decided a bolt in was better than nothing and installed the RockHard4x4 sport cage, rear center bar, and the padding kit.
How do you like the padding kit? I have hit my head a couple of times on mine. I am using standard roll bar padding.

peter

G

·
0 Posts
How difficult is the Rock Hard cage to install? I'm particularly interested in the mounting along the door seam as the rest seems pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I'm particularly interested in the mounting along the door seam as the rest seems pretty straight forward.
Use a step drill for making the holes and it is easy. Using a regular drill bit increases the chance of ripping up the seam. The old adage of "Measure twice, cut once" is also worth remembering.

I tacked some 3/16" flat bar over the top of the seam area for added strength.

There is potential to mess up parts of the dash while doing the install, especially with the pieces that mount to the door seams, but take your time and it is easy.

My doors rub against the side pieces slightly in a couple places, but I fixed that with some pieces of the loop side of velcro.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's fine. If you sew, you could make something yourself pretty easy. It uses that blue foam pipe insulation and black canvas with velcro, but is effective.
Thanks, I think I'll just stick with what I have then.

My doors rub against the side pieces slightly in a couple places, but I fixed that with some pieces of the loop side of velcro.
Mine rubs hard. You actually have to slam the passenger side door to get it to close all the way. There would be no room for the velcro!

peter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks for the replies everyone. Can I get you to take a few more pictures in the area where it bolts next to the dash. I agree from what I've seen in the regular ads, they avoid much detail there, and it seems like a real weakness.

Has anyone considered modifying a rollbar from an earlier jeep, or from one like the 2 door JK uses to add an additional upright and then the larger looped roll cage to the rear, rather then the angled ones used on the four door.

I hope that all made sence... Basically there would be another portion of roll cage running at the outside edges of the rear seat.

Thanks again, love the pictures when you guys add thoughts and details, that really helps.

;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Anyone hear of any other options other than the RockHard bolt on cage? How about Poly or Poisen Spyder???

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Anyone hear of any other options other than the RockHard bolt on cage? How about Poly or Poisen Spyder???
I am sure we will be doing one similar to what we currently offer for the TJ..... Its gonna be awhile though. We have a few more JK products on deck before that gets hammered out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts