JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2016 jeep jku sahara automatic with 3.21 gearing. I will be running a 2.5 inch lift with 35's. I was wondering if i needed to regear or could i just settle for a superchip. If i do regear, what ratio should i get? from what ive seen i would go with 4.56 but want more opinions. This will be mainly a daily driver. Dana 30 in front . and rear Dana 44 if that helps. thanks

·
Registered
965 Posts
In general "can I get by with it accepting it'll be not the best on 35's", the answer on the 3.6L 2012+ is 3.21 no it'll be intolerable, 3.73 yes but not great, 4.10 yes and it's not that bad.

Obviously re-gearing will be way better in any case.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have a 2016 jeep jku sahara automatic with 3.21 gearing. I will be running a 2.5 inch lift with 35's. I was wondering if i needed to regear or could i just settle for a superchip. If i do regear, what ratio should i get? from what ive seen i would go with 4.56 but want more opinions. This will be mainly a daily driver. Dana 30 in front . and rear Dana 44 if that helps. thanks
You will need a new carrier for the front d30.
you wont "need" to regear but you will want to. Your jeep is 400+ lbs heavier than mine with an automatic but the same drive gears and tires. mine is fine to drive but im also at sea level and like I said, hundreds of lbs lighter and im still shifting more than I'd like. and there is a lot of issues getting rolling from a dig.

So unless you live in the mountains, you don't really "need" to but you'd most likely want to.

also the famous chart.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2016 Sahara Automatic JK. I had a 3.5 lift that netted 5 inches due to not have any heavy mods installed. The 35 inch tires gave me another 2 inches in height. I chose to have it regeared to 4.88. I'm sitting 7 inches higher with 5 83 pond tires and 5 17 pound rims. I can imagine not having it regear. The Jeep is heavy now. That 2.5 lift and tires might put you in the range for new driveshaft.

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts
I have a 2016 Sahara Automatic JK. I had a 3.5 lift that netted 5 inches due to not have any heavy mods installed. The 35 inch tires gave me another 2 inches in height. I chose to have it regeared to 4.88. I'm sitting 7 inches higher with 5 83 pond tires and 5 17 pound rims. I can imagine not having it regear. The Jeep is heavy now. That 2.5 lift and tires might put you in the range for new driveshaft.

i had to do serious homework and sacrifice a little to keep my 37s on 17s under 100lbs ( 21lb wheel + 69lb tire ) . I regeared to 5.13 shortly after but drove the 3.8l with its 4.10 gears for a few months & couldn't imagine a heavier tire wheel combo than that ...the 3.6l xtra HP helps on 12 and up JKs for sure.
Regearing is the single best mod for performance as well as caring for the power plant of the jeep if it's running any tires larger than stock ,imho. :jeep2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts