JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to regear my 2010 4 door manual rubicon to 488's. I've added a 3" lift and Im running 35" toyo tires and just wanted to get some power back when driving on road. My questions are:

1. Is regearing a straight forward process or does it have any "chain reaction" effects that will require me to make further mods?

2. Are the aftermarket gears as strong, reliable, etc as the factory stock ones that came with my jeep?

3. What are the best brands on the market? Richmond Gears or Dana Spicers?

4. Are there any drawbacks to reagering?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Im going to regear my 2010 4 door manual rubicon to 488's. I've added a 3" lift and Im running 35" toyo tires and just wanted to get some power back when driving on road. My questions are:

1. Is regearing a straight forward process or does it have any "chain reaction" effects that will require me to make further mods?

2. Are the aftermarket gears as strong, reliable, etc as the factory stock ones that came with my jeep?

3. What are the best brands on the market? Richmond Gears or Dana Spicers?

4. Are there any drawbacks to reagering?
The only chain reaction I had with my 5.13's for my auto, was they were not installed correctly!! So I was without a Jeep for 3 weeks. Don't drive over 50-60 mph when breaking them in for the 1st 500 miles and then change the oil. If your not a mechanic with experience then take it somewhere that has done JK's before. The guy I took it too has done gears before, but not on JK's. He fawked mine up.

Don't know about those gears at all but I have Yukons'. I know others that run them as well and never had any problems.

Don't let people tell you you are going to gain mpg with regearing. I lost another mile to mile and half per gallon. Cruising at a nice 13 mpg right now and that was with keeping it under 60 mph.

Regearing and and throwing a locker in was the best decision I ever made...worst decision was letting an asshole do it.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Other than the cost of the locker, is it cheaper to have the locker put in at the same time? Or does it make sense to do the gears asap, then save up for the lockers?
Do gears and locker at the same time. They are going to be in there anyways. Don't want to pay for the labor twice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just got my 4.88's in on Sat... Night and day difference, but I dont see how people get better MPG's cause im right around 28-2900 at 70mph. It feels like im stuck in 5th gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts