JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put in 4.88 gears in my 2015 JKR.
I finally stepped up from 35" tires to 37" tires and the lack of grunt off road is very noticable!

Who is in the area for a good set of gears? I am close to Chehalis, but can travel to Olympia, Tacoma, Longview, Portland etc. as needed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I emailed Northridge, as I did think of them before as well.
They seemed a bit high on cost, but I was also wanting the Yukon gear sets.
I know I haven't had to regear any axles for a good number of years, but I still didn't expect that much on the cost.
Am I missing something on these JKs that justifies a higher cost to change gears?

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
There's nothing especially time-consuming about the JK D44s vs. other axles - maybe the clientele is more high-maintenance on average so they add a PITA tax? Having recently purchased all the specialty tools to DIY, I can confirm that you wouldn't break even by doing just 1 pair of axles. When I went from 4.10 to 4.88, I had a shop do it because my JK was my daily. Now that I have a second car, I'm going the DIY route to swap in a Dynatrac PR44U housing because I can leave the Jeep dead in the side yard if needed.

I've never had work done by Northridge, only mentioned them because I knew Silverdale was close(ish) to you. I'm happy with them, but my experience is limited to buying parts online. Hope you find a close local shop with friendly rates and competent work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, My JK is my daily as well and I don't want/need much for downtime.
I don't mind traveling a little for the right parts, the right shop, etc.
Of course they prompted me to go with 5.13 gears instead with my 37" tires, but I am concerned about higher speed highway usage with those gears. I know off road they are a no brainer, but I am not beating this rig that hard. Mostly mild trails, logging roads, occasional technical stuff, but nothing crazy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, got a couple quotes. Auburn Car was a bit more than northridge.
My only issue with northridge is that they offer a price for the front/rear with master install kit for $549, but if you have them install, you have to buy the parts separately for about $300 more.

I thought there was someone in the longview/kelso area. I need to look there as that is darn close to me, and would make for an easy drive home on the new gears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts