JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I know this is usually the first question asked when a lift/tires are installed, but I will ask anyway. I am in desperate need of regearing the diffs on my 08' JK (2door Hardtop X, D44-D30, 6speed, 4" Superlift, 325/65/R18 Mickey Thompson MTZ's). I would like the final drive ratio to be a hair lower that the factory ring gears and pinion shafts. My dealer was unable to tell me what ratio it has stock, although the Jeep webpage tells of a 3.21, it also lists a 3.73 with limited slip diffs. My JK did not come with the factory tow package so the 4.10s are out of the question. Judging from the highway speed performance of 5th and 6th gear, I would say the 3.21s. If so, I would think a 4.56 would give me back 6th gear on the highway, or perhaps a 4.88. Any help on this would be appreciated greatly. Oh, has anyone else's ESP gone nuts after installing a lift? Mine turns itself off (or partially off as the owners manual suggests) after about a mile of travel. The tire monitoring indicator light stays illuminated as well. {!} Any info on this issue would be a big help. Thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
We have the same type of JK, 2 dr X 6 spd and it came with 3.21 gears, there should be a tag on the diff that says the ratio or the tooth count, you can divide those numbers and it will give you the ratio. With a JK you are limited to only a few ratios, they have unique gears to a JK, to my knowledge Superior only makes 4.88 and 5.13 and Alloy has 4.88 and 5.30 on the way. If that tire size is about a 35", I would go with the 4.88, that is what I have in my 2 dr with 35's. I had few problems with the ESP after the lift, even less after the gear swap. BTW, you will need a new carrier with the front gears, but not the rear.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Oh, has anyone else's ESP gone nuts after installing a lift? Mine turns itself off (or partially off as the owners manual suggests) after about a mile of travel. The tire monitoring indicator light stays illuminated as well. {!} Any info on this issue would be a big help. Thanks!
That is usually a result of not centering the steering wheel after lifting it. It is a real easy job and doesn't take long.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you have the factory window sticker it will tell you what gears you have.

Also, with those tires, the 4.88's would be a great match.

You ever come to the Superlift ORV Park? I'm there quite a bit. Check out http://www.ArkansasCrawlers.com , we wheel at the park a lot and are always glad to have new members. :smokin:

·
Registered
58 Posts
4.88s are nice ...I have them on my TJ.... good stuff....

But why not do it like they say on those INFORMERCIALS in the weee hrs of the morning

5.13s.....Set it and Forget it !!!!

If you are gonna regear just do it one time !;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts