JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new member here, but not a new owner.

I was a member on that other forum, but got "suspended" after I posted a thread asking if anyone wanted to collaborate on an open source project where I would do all the drawings and plans and post them for free.

Then they apparently can't find their reply button, because all my emails to them go unanswered or even acknowledged.

Anyway, enough ranting. Looking for a new home that understands common sense and community.

By way of introduction, my name is Mike. I'm in Battle Creek, MI, and work as an engineer in a steel/aluminum fabrication plant. Basically I spend my days drawing cool stuff in 2D and 3D and creating plans/material lists and operations for building, well, stuff. :lol:

I'm a die hard tinkerer, and am always looking for new things to design and build for my jeep. I am the type who will build it before I buy it, no matter how cheap the part is. For example, I drew up my own receiver hitch, cut it out on the CNC plasma bed and welded it up myself. Looks great and still works like a charm with no signs of trouble.

(Before anyone gets mad, I did all this on my free time, off company property and for myself. I'm not soliciting or advertising in anyway)

Pics here:

Some other things I've done for my JK:

Guess that's about it for now. Like I said, I'm a die hard tinkerer, and I have lots of ideas... I'm working on bumpers and would love to do them as an open source project and create plans we can all have for free, but only if it won't get me suspended from here too ;) Other project ideas include limb riser brackets, skid plates, cargo well replacement (relocating the muffler of course), etc.

Look forward to meeting everyone, sharing ideas, etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot... here's a picture of my jeep!

It's a 2008 Wrangler X 2dr. Mods include a Rough Country Series 2 3.5" lift, 1.5" wheel spacers, 5.13 gears with an aussie locker up front, and BFG A/T 37x12.50 on stock wheels (hey, they may not look as cool as mud grapplers, but I got a 60k mile warranty!) :)

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
TAKE THAT STUFF DOWN RIGHT AWAY!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
ok just kidding and welcome!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice work! Anything else?

Welcome to JKO!
Not a whole lot that I have pictures of... I started working on a tire carrier idea that used the factory hinge locations but would support a larger tire, etc.

This was an early idea, which I started tinkering with but scrapped in favor of a different design.

If you notice the green circle, that's a 36.5" diameter tire representation. It covered my "art" lol

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
i was threatened to be banned from "the other forum" simply by saying...

i either read it here or on another forum.
i went round and round with the nazi mod. i was shocked that even saying that another forum existed on the internet was something they constituted banning for. idiots.

all that said, welcome to this forum. this one really seems so much more open to real discussion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Talk about hitting the ground running! Welcome to the insanity. cool fab pics. I'm diggin the grille art on the rear bumper.
Thanks :) That piece was a test burn in stainless steel sheet. It's sitting on a shelf next to my desk here at work as I type this.

I thought with all my energy and access to resources I'd make a decent member of the community over there (they seem to have a pretty active fabricators and tech section), but apparently order is much more important than content.

Heck, I even offered to do CADD and cnc plasma work for free at one point (just the cost of materials) over there. Seems like I got in trouble for that too.

Oh well. Here I am instead :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i was threatened to be banned from "the other forum" simply by saying...

i went round and round with the nazi mod. i was shocked that even saying that another forum existed on the internet was something they constituted banning for. idiots.

all that said, welcome to this forum. this one really seems so much more open to real discussion.
I tried emailing the admins via the link they provided when I got the suspension notice (NEVER did I get notice of what I actually did wrong...I just logged in and got a yellow note across the top saying my account was suspended for a rule violation and that I could contact them to discuss it). I tried several times. Tried on their FB page and on their "project JK" FB page and website too. Not once did I ever receive a response or an acknowledgement that I had even contacted them. And I was very apologetic and humble with every email. I never got upset.

Like I said, oh well...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.