JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit Red Cone with EAD, Trail Rated and his buddy (who I can't for the life of me remember his name). I left early and the group continued on so we'll have to see what they hit.

All I can say about this trail is WOW. You get a little bit of everything from crawling, dodging trees, exposure, steepness and some of the best views you can imagine.. I had a blast- Thanks guys!

I hope the others post their pics!!!

Airing down

Some of the aspen narrows

Above tree line

Red Cone summit

The decent

Lunch time

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Great run, soem good pics. I need to get out there soon.

·
Registered
575 Posts
awesome! I wanted to go there yesterday but didn't want to change there being snow up there. :bawling:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Next time I am up there, I need to run this trail...nice pics...:beer:

·
Registered
215 Posts
How bad is the top of Red Cone, really? Charles Wells' book makes it sound really scary. I'd like to run it, possibly next summer, but my wife and I are typically alone.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
How bad is the top of Red Cone, really? Charles Wells' book makes it sound really scary. I'd like to run it, possibly next summer, but my wife and I are typically alone.
Not bad at all when I was up there. I can see it getting bad if anything got washed out. Just wait for the latest report before you are ready to go and I think you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
It's really nothing at all to worry about. I let my daughter drive down it when she was 15 before she had even taken any road lessons.

OK so I had my hand kinda close to the e brake just in case :laughing:

325.JPG

326.JPG

I'd run that trail alone on the weekend, there's always plenty of other rigs running it if something happens. During the week maybe it's good to have a buddy along.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It really doesn't look as bad as Wells book makes it out to be...:)

·
Registered
578 Posts
It really doesn't look as bad as Wells book makes it out to be...:)

True.

The final stretch of the trail has been repaired by filling in and leveling out all of the moguls. At the time Wells wrote the description the final stretch of Red Cone was pretty bad and it was definitely unnerving because the moguls combined with the loose gravel made for a very unstable ride. The moguls were so deep that many 4x4s would lift tires when navigated them.

Today, the final stretch of Red Cone is as smooth as butter when compared to what it was.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts