JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some issues with towing the JK as you have to disconnect the battery as the ignition has to be left on to unlock the steering wheel.
The TJ key could be turned one step that would unlock the wheels, not so now with the JK. In my jurisdiction an auxilary brake has to be installed to tow over 3000 lbs and the Brakebuddy and Blue Ox braking systems require power to operate a compressor as well as power to the brake switch which sends an activation signal to the motorhome. I could run a circuit from the battery direct to operate the compressor but not sure how to get around the brake switch problem, any ideas.

It is too bad that the Jeep designers don't consult with those that use these vehicles to overcome these issues prior to marketing.

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
IIRC, there's no need to disconnect the battery to tow. Just disconnect the IOD fuse and turn the ignition to unlock the steering. Disabling the IOD fuse will stop unnecessary draining of the battery while in tow.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I tow mine often and have not had any battery issues.

The ignition switch only needs to be in the "accessory" position, not the "on" position.

I also have a US Gear Unified Tow Brake system which includes a vacuum pump as well as a big 'ol electric solenoid. The system does run a power lead from the motorhome to the jeep to keep the battery charged. Most (if not all) 7 pins RV wiring connectors include this power lead.

No problems with the battery even after towing all day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, as noted below, pop up that big IOD fuse and it'll power off most of the accessories that drain the battery. Before I learned about the IOD fuse I towed from Phoenix to San Diego with an overnight stay half-way and my battery was dead, dead, DEAD on arrival - needed to be jumped. Coming home, same amount of time I pulled the IOD and she fired straight up - no need for jumping.

As a bonus, it will leave the aux outlets live in the cab, perfect for plugging in your Brakebuddy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the info, will pull the fuse.

3 day tow to get to sunny Arizona

1 - 5 of 5 Posts