JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..what kind of straps do i need? i see alot about straps with loops vs with hooks? tree straps, D-Shackles, Snatch Blocks..

what are they? what do i need?

I put on a rugged ridge bumper with D Rings..i see some places that require tow hooks to off-road..do they do the same thing? do i need to add hooks?

thanks
Steve

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hooks and D-rings function approximately the same way. Either is acceptable as a recovery point. As to the straps, I got a couple of 30' X 3" web straps with loops on each end, from the local auto parts store for about $35 each (I think). I've used them to pull my brother's Honda Element out of a snow bank as well as for a variety of things on various job sites (I used to build houses for a living). Next addition to the recovery package for me will be a cheap, 8000 lb. winch. I don't expect to use it much so a Smittybilt makes more sense than spending the big bucks on a Warn or a T-Max. Just my .02. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
first off, nice choice on the bumper!

-Yes the D-rings are recovery points. All you do is unscrew the pin, put a strap on the ring, screw the pin back on and that’s your recovery point. It is the same as a tow hook (no truly the same, idea is the same)

-As far as straps. Get one with a looped ends. Metal hooks can break and create a metal flying object which you don’t want obviously. Now there are two kinds of straps, tow straps and snatch straps. A snatch strap expands when pulled quickly and then contracts to "snatch" the vehicle out.

-A tree saver is used for winching. You don’t want to wrap your winch line around the tree because it could harm the tree and mess up your cable by putting the metal hook on the line when you wrap it around a tree.

-A snatch block is used for a winch as well. It is a pulley that you attach to a tree, vehicle, w/e anchor you have to help with winching in various ways.

This is my recovery "bag" and I have never needed anything more:
1 D-ring (3 total because 2 are on the front bumper)
1 20' x 2" Pro Comp tow strap
1 6' Pro Comp tree saver
1 Highlift jack
And i have a 9500 lbs winch on the front with synthetic rope

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do i tie the straps to both front D rings? or is just the left or right? will i put too much stress on the bumper? i have the highlift jack as well. heard that i can use as a winch as well..

G

·
0 Posts
do i tie the straps to both front D rings? or is just the left or right? will i put too much stress on the bumper? i have the highlift jack as well. heard that i can use as a winch as well..
The strap runs from one of your D rings (not both) to the vehicle that is pulling you out. The bumper is designed for this kind of stress, so you won't overload it. You can use a Hi -lift as sort of a winch but it's pretty awkward to do that. It's a good technique to be familiar with if you have to use it, though. You can't use a snatch strap in this situation - you'll need some combination of chains and/or not stretching tow straps (two total).

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
-As far as straps. Get one with a looped ends. Metal hooks can break and create a metal flying object which you don’t want obviously. Now there are two kinds of straps, tow straps and snatch straps. A snatch strap expands when pulled quickly and then contracts to "snatch" the vehicle out.
X2 Use a strap that was designed as a recovery strap. A good recovery strap and a couple of shackles should be the minimum you carry.

I've cut my recovery gear down quite a bit based on what I actually use, and carry just the following now:

3" x 30' recovery strap
1" x 30' recovery rope
3" x 8' tree strap
4 x 3/4" shackles
2 x 5/8" shackles
Leather gloves
Snatch block
Spotter rope

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
The strap runs from one of your D rings (not both) to the vehicle that is pulling you out. The bumper is designed for this kind of stress, so you won't overload it.
X2 Although I have used a tree strap as a bridle to go between both recovery points when doing some heavy duty snatch recoveries in the past.

A

·
0 Posts
do i tie the straps to both front D rings?
Never tie a knot in a strap unless you want to cut it off. Also never loop one end of a strap through the other end's loop or you’ll end up cutting that off too (learned from experience there ;)).

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can attach ropes but you need to put a stick inside a figure 8 or diamond knot I forget what it's called but I know what it looks like, but it's so they can be seperated after you're done. You should have someone that's experienced with you to help you in your first couple recoveries as they can be life threatning if done incorrect, or you're even standing in the wrong place, more so involving a winch. Keep a screw driver in your recovery bag because the d-ring pins can get stuck where you can't unscrew them by hand you'll just stick the screw driver through the hole.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Keep a screw driver in your recovery bag because the d-ring pins can get stuck where you can't unscrew them by hand you'll just stick the screw driver through the hole.

Good luck.

good advice. Either a screw driver or a bigger adjustable wrench

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
good advice. Either a screw driver or a bigger adjustable wrench
I've found tapping them with a rock or another shackle works well. For most recoveries I tend to screw the pin all the way in and back it off a 1/4 turn, which prevents them locking up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts