JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in my latest JP magazine they said that Jeep was going to Recall some JKs with Automatic Trannys for the over heat problem. It does not look like they are going to do anything about them overheating but they are supposed to install a dummy ligt and buzzer so that you know that you are having a problem. I called my dealer this morning and he did confirm but said it was not going to be all of the autos but that it was going to be in a certain Vin range they did not have all of the specifics.

Any body know any thing more on this? I have a 08 4dr Rubicon with automatic tranny. I have heard of the trannys getting hot but as far as I know it has not happened to me but then how would I know I have not smelled anything hot and she has been shifting fine.

Thanks for any info in advanced.
Kevin.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Install a heavy duty external trans cooler and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I want my dummy light because I'm a dummy. Mine has overheated a few times and I want my damn light.

I called my dealer and they knew nothing about it... I'm waiting for my little thingie in the mail to add to my recall collection so I can go to the dealership and get it all done at once.

I haven't been back there since I bought the Jeep so it should be interesting.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Nothing as grand as a new light. The campaign will reflash your cluster to say "hot oil" and give you the ever so polite chime. Does nothing to address the problem, just reduces their liability for your Jeep bursting into flames.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Nothing as grand as a new light. The campaign will reflash your cluster to say "hot oil" and give you the ever so polite chime. Does nothing to address the problem, just reduces their liability for your Jeep bursting into flames.
Yep. I want my light. I know it's not going to fix the problem but I want my damn light :thefinger:

It may reduce their liability, but for idiots like me it will also WARN me when I'm having an issue so I can correct the situation before it's too late. The times I've had mine overheat it would have been nice to have some warning before it was crippled to the point of not moving any more. I would rather have a light than not.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
I keep planning to do the cooler and gauge install similar to what PhilD did, I think (for me) that would be a much better solution. I could monitor the temp and not just know when it is already hot.

But if they are giving away warning messages, I'll take one of those too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Overheating Auto Transmission

There are numerous post on overheating transmission oil on the JK Wrangler. I have a 2009 Rubicon, I installed a Derale Heat Sink Cooler on the Bottom on the rail in front of the condenser coil.
The cooler is finned insided and out, and 18" long. It holds about one quart of trans fluid that also aids in cooling. I plumbed it with trans rubber hose, 3/8" diameter, in line with the fluid return line from the condenser cooler to the transmission.
Prior to the installation, I checked transmission pan temperature several times using a hand held laser. (Bought at Harbor Freight, $24) I know this is not the most accurate method for temp sensing. All I wanted was a reference temperature, before an after cooler installation.
After a 25-30 mile run on level ground, mid 60s temperature, the pan averaged 175 degrees. After installation of cooler, similar driving conditions, the temperature was 148 degrees.
I live in Arizona, so high temps is a concern.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
so I can correct the situation before it's too late. The times I've had mine overheat it would have been nice to have some warning before it was crippled to the point of not moving any more. I would rather have a light than not.
well the REAL way to correct it before its to late is to install the cooler :grinpimp: IT IS SOEASY. You could be crippled to the point of busting into flames instead of just not moving.

There are numerous post on overheating transmission oil on the JK Wrangler. I have a 2009 Rubicon, I installed a Derale Heat Sink Cooler on the Bottom on the rail in front of the condenser coil.
The cooler is finned insided and out, and 18" long. It holds about one quart of trans fluid that also aids in cooling. I plumbed it with trans rubber hose, 3/8" diameter, in line with the fluid return line from the condenser cooler to the transmission.
Prior to the installation, I checked transmission pan temperature several times using a hand held laser. (Bought at Harbor Freight, $24) I know this is not the most accurate method for temp sensing. All I wanted was a reference temperature, before an after cooler installation.
After a 25-30 mile run on level ground, mid 60s temperature, the pan averaged 175 degrees. After installation of cooler, similar driving conditions, the temperature was 148 degrees.
I live in Arizona, so high temps is a concern.
I tell you this Seer on here installed a heat sink cooler in the same spot you did and he has a aeroforce gauge that reads the trans temp from the computer. It did NOT cool the trans at all. His first trip out wheeling with it he was running just as hot if not hotter if I recall correctly. He replaced it after that trip.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
well the REAL way to correct it before its to late is to install the cooler :grinpimp: IT IS SOEASY. You could be crippled to the point of busting into flames instead of just not moving.
I'll add it to my long list of shit that's not getting done to my Jeep. I've had that damn lift sitting on my coffee table for 9 months.. I think I'm just going to have to learn to do this shit by myself so I don't have to depend on people helping me anymore. :laughing:

·
Registered
104 Posts
...It may reduce their liability, but for idiots like me it will also WARN me when I'm having an issue so I can correct the situation before it's too late...
As a rule ILs come on just in time to let you know you just took 10K off your tranny. If you're serious, you'll get a temp gauge installed and the cooler.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Got my recall for this in the mail today. Just a few questions.

Do I have to bring the computer back to stock before I go to the dealer or will the dealer revert my computer back to stock?

I flashed mine with the AEV ProCal for Large tires and turned off the TPMS.

Can this void my warranty? Only 20K miles and mine has the Unlimited drivetrain warranty and the dealer threw in a Extended warranty to 75K bumper to bumper.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Got my recall for this in the mail today. Just a few questions.

Do I have to bring the computer back to stock before I go to the dealer or will the dealer revert my computer back to stock?

I flashed mine with the AEV ProCal for Large tires and turned off the TPMS.

Can this void my warranty? Only 20K miles and mine has the Unlimited drivetrain warranty and the dealer threw in a Extended warranty to 75K bumper to bumper.

Any thoughts?

Yes set it back to stock before taking it in :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Just had my recall done and also had the illuminated entry set to "0" at the same time. (no more headlights on lock or unlock). I set the tuning on my superchips back to zero before I went. However the TPMS was stiil set to "0".
The speedo was set for 35's and the axel ratio was set to 5.13 no problems no issues. Now to add a trans cooler. :beer:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts