JKOwners Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
so I took my jeep in today for the "shutter" issue and while I was there I figured I would ask them to replace my latches. I explained to the retarded service manager my issue, about the hood almost getting ripped off every time a big rig passes me! i told him that my jeep isnt included in the recall, but since its under warranty to replace them. he tryed to tell me there was no recall or issue with them. he also told me there was no issue or recall issue on the shutter problem! so I left the dealership with the same shitty latches and the shutter. what can I do? just because I am a girl, I have no clue???

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
so I took my jeep in today for the "shutter" issue and while I was there I figured I would ask them to replace my latches. I explained to the retarded service manager my issue, about the hood almost getting ripped off every time a big rig passes me! i told him that my jeep isnt included in the recall, but since its under warranty to replace them. he tryed to tell me there was no recall or issue with them. he also told me there was no issue or recall issue on the shutter problem! so I left the dealership with the same shitty latches and the shutter. what can I do? just because I am a girl, I have no clue???
Go the Daystar route and be done with it. I installed them last summer. My hood hasn't even shivered since then. :smokin:

·
Registered
119 Posts
where do I get a pair of the Daystars? I seen them on 4 wheel parts site for $25. is there any cheaper?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I have a 09. Got the recall and had them replaced. Worked for a couple of months and back to hood flutter. Looks like Daystar here I come. :bawling:
Mine is an '09, July '08 production. Too early fro the campaign, or so said the dealer. However, they replaced them under warranty. The problem soon came back. Best fix is 1) use a couple of tie straps to cinch them down, 2) order teh Daystars. Done.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Mine is a 08 and the factory ones were replaced twice. Good first few weeks and then they would start lifting again on the highway. Dumped them and got the Daystar's and no more problem since they were installed.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I have it, but I wonder, what is the real risk of the hood coming loose?
Has anyone had it happen?

Or is this just a, "I don't like it, must get it fixed" thing?
The hood latch "should" prevent the hood coming loose. It is an annoyance thing more than anything else, watching the hood rattle away.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Mine is an '09, July '08 production. Too early fro the campaign, or so said the dealer. However, they replaced them under warranty. The problem soon came back. Best fix is 1) use a couple of tie straps to cinch them down, 2) order teh Daystars. Done.
buy the daystars and be done. for the extra 16 bucks or whatever its much better than waiting for the mostly same but just newer ones to wear out again.

i know i said the daystars have pulled my hood forward, but who knows. with as many problems as the jks are prone to, whos to say the hood lined up with the fenders perfectly to begin with

seriously, the daystars are one of the best things ive done so far. hood doesnt even think about moving!

get them from phil. support vendors :bounce:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder about the parts that are being used on your Jeeps for those of you who have had them replaced only to experience the shake again. perhaps the dealers aren't using the updated latches? I say this cause I replaced mine myself with the latches from the recall. I got them from the parts counter by part # aa stated elsewhere on here and have not had an issue in 30k miles in 18 months. $9 spent.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Couldn't agree more. You know my previous latches were fine but did the recall anyway thinking they had found a superior or at least better performing part. Not the case, I want my old latches back.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
FWIW this recall doesn't necessarily fix the hood flutter. It specifically replaces a bad batch of latches that were prone to break in two.:beer:

·
Registered
44 Posts
FWIW this recall doesn't necessarily fix the hood flutter. It specifically replaces a bad batch of latches that were prone to break in two.:beer:
Like mine on my 2010? Mine snapped in two going down the highway at 70 when I met a semi going the other way. The guy at the stealership said about 10 other JK's had been in with the same problem.:shaking:

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Dealer replaced mine and the new ones were same as the old ones. Got some of those Daystar things and they were so tight they were going to bend the hood. A club member gave me a deal that goes under the catch on the radiator support for the hood hook, works but is held on with a zip tie. Just saw a deal where it was installed using two thin hose clamps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1/2 square tubing attached in the latch position works great! But you have to release the latch from the grill instead of under the front of the hood like normal!

I'm on my 3rd set now! And they are needing replaced!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts