JKOwners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Update: I have nearly 9,000 miles now and it's been 3 months since I installed the replacements and no hood bounce. I also removed the spring.

P/N: CBB0380
LATCH-HOOD
BIN: 117B4
LIST $9.71

·
Registered
681 Posts
They won't do mine under recall because my build date is 11/2008, but I just bought the parts anyway:
P/N: CBB0380
LATCH-HOOD
BIN: 117B4
LIST $9.71

It's not just the rubber, it appears to be the whole assembly.
Mine was built in 11/2008 as well .... so your JK didn't already have the new latches installed? Do they look beefier than the originals?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Mine was built in 11/2008 as well .... so your JK didn't already have the new latches installed? Do they look beefier than the originals?

My JK didn't have the new latches. Both online and dealer told me my JK wasn't part of the recall. The new latches LOOKED the same, but they are CLEARLY stronger. I can tell when I latched it and the hood flutter was eliminated. Best $9 i ever spent. :bounce:

·
Registered
89 Posts
After reading this and having the same problems with my hood on my 07, I decide to go down to the local Jeep dealership and question them about this.... Well the woman in the service dept keep telling me that it wasn't a recalled part with my VIN # that I would have to bring it in a drop it off. I looked at her and said, "just point me in the direction of the parts dept." I don't have the time to drop my Jeep off to them for them to tell me that its a "normal" thing that they all do it... Anyways, at the part desk the guy couldn't find the part from the number I got above (CBB0380). He looked around in the computer and finally found the correct part number, which is (CBB0H380) with the added "H" he was able to find the part and I got out of there with my new latchs for $8.83. They were a pain like others said to install but hopefully they solve the problem. Ill keep an update..
Below is a pic of the new (left) vs. old (right)

·
Registered
129 Posts
If anyone prefers the Daystar Hood Wranglers over the factory parts I have them in stock. All current promos apply.

James
These are an excellent option also. I got a set of these a couple of weeks ago, they are a bit pricier, $25 vs. $9, but the install is a snap. You don't have to unbolt the bottom bracket from the fender, which some have had issues with. Once the Daystars are on, there will be no more hood flutter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just an update... Took it on the interstate and no more hood movement... Hopefully it keeps it up... :) If not guess I'll go with the Daystars...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't get it. If it's not allowing any movement, how did it look like it was gonna come off?

**Tapping my sarcasm meter** :shaking: Is this thing on?
Does the meter read right to left?

·
Registered
865 Posts
the daystar latches are my favorite mod. that hood flutter drove me nuts( wife says a short trip ). prime example of the cheap crap they build our automobiles with. if the rubber compound in the new OEM latches are the same as the old, i bet they stretch and start moving. mine got worse seemed like every trip. it had started fluttering at any speed over 60. installed the Daystars and problem fixed, 4000 miles or so and no more flutter. course if these stretch and start to flutter, i get to bash daystar:laughing:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My "recall latches" now have nearly 18k on them without a flutter. I drive on busy highways with lots of semi's. The only other thing I did was remove the spring.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I had mine replaced under the recall (i was one of the lucky 7300). So far about 2500 miles on them and no more bounce. I let the dealer do mine for me (hey it was free), great service department, to bad Chrysler shut them down since.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok, An instant fix for your hood jumping. I was shown this by a guy at EJS in Moab Utah last year. And trust me it works. And only cost a few cents. Ok take a 13" black wire tie, open your latch and feed it behind the latch. You may need to us a pair of needle nose pliers to catch the end when it comes out. Put the end through the lock or end and cut off just about an inch. This keeps the rubber from stretching. And you can't even notice they are there. Now if you are in a cold climate understand they may break. Just put on a new one. Any questions just ask i'll help ya. And yes it does work. I have had them on mine since last April in Moab. Love the fact that I have NO hood jump!!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
the daystar latches are my favorite mod. that hood flutter drove me nuts( wife says a short trip ). prime example of the cheap crap they build our automobiles with. if the rubber compound in the new OEM latches are the same as the old, i bet they stretch and start moving. mine got worse seemed like every trip. it had started fluttering at any speed over 60. installed the Daystars and problem fixed, 4000 miles or so and no more flutter. course if these stretch and start to flutter, i get to bash daystar:laughing:
yea i have the same ones and love them except....

theyre so tight they pull your hood forward. not enough to really be bothered by, but it does pull it. i can see my hinges slightly bent forward and my hood and fender dont exactly match up any more. someone did warn me of this when i got them tho. but...

the hood stays put on the highway so its a good trade off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok,
so I read all these post and called my dealer and said I was scared shitless blah blah blah gave them the recall number.
Mentioned I worked for chrysler, and they looked up my VIN, they said it did not fall under the recall BUT I was still under warranty so they
ordered the parts and I have an appointment on wednesday. ;)~

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ok,
so I read all these post and called my dealer and said I was scared shitless blah blah blah gave them the recall number.
Mentioned I worked for chrysler, and they looked up my VIN, they said it did not fall under the recall BUT I was still under warranty so they
ordered the parts and I have an appointment on wednesday. ;)~
Mine was "outside the recall" and I had to buy the replacement parts for $9. But it made a HUGE difference (so much for the recall list of VINs being accurate).

Hey, on another note, your user ID isn't correct. It says you own a 335 BMW ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
so I took my jeep in today for the "shutter" issue and while I was there I figured I would ask them to replace my latches. I explained to the retarded service manager my issue, about the hood almost getting ripped off every time a big rig passes me! i told him that my jeep isnt included in the recall, but since its under warranty to replace them. he tryed to tell me there was no recall or issue with them. he also told me there was no issue or recall issue on the shutter problem! so I left the dealership with the same shitty latches and the shutter. what can I do? just because I am a girl, I have no clue???

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.