JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to get a Snap-On torque wrench apart? It is not one of the ones that has a not on the end of the handle that you can loosen. Can't find any videos or diagrams either. It's a 30 year old 3/8" flex head. Basically, it still works but jammed on a specific setting. I can unlock the ring but cannot change the setting. It's like it is stuck locked.

Please help. Me and this wrench have been through some good times together:

Mazda and Subaru transmissions and transaxles - both auto and stick
Mazda and Subaru head and engine work - rotary and piston

Can't remember all of the other vehicles that it has been used on but I respected the wrench and the car in the morning.

Seriously, though, who knows how to get this thing apart or should I just replace it with something new? This has got to me the most oft used torque wrench that I have.

·
Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
Sounds like a QD-series click-type where it has a ring and rotating handle? Not sure how those pop apart, however, I wouldn't bother. I'd just have the man on the truck repair and recalibrate for $50-$100. For head fasteners and stuff, I'd buy a techangle and keep the QD for nostalgia.

Sorry not much help :(

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a QD-series click-type where it has a ring and rotating handle? Not sure how those pop apart, however, I wouldn't bother. I'd just have the man on the truck repair and recalibrate for $50-$100. For head fasteners and stuff, I'd buy a techangle and keep the QD for nostalgia.

Sorry not much help :(
Yeah, ring and rotating handle.

I was at the big orange box and purchased a 3/8" Husky 5-80 ft. lbs. electronic.

Should I be feeling all dirty inside or is this one decent? Have not set foot on a tool truck since the early 90's. It says some BS about lifetime warranty. I wonder if I should go Craftsman? Orange box is closer, though.

·
Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
Those look like a nice wrench. For 90% of fasteners that aren't wacky torque to spec beyond "torque to x, then y within this range of +/- 10n" that wrench is probably more that fine.

The only time I insist on the tech or techangle is if I'm working on things like my bike or if the torque reqs are absolute. But thats's like $500+ to tighten a fastener to a taiwanese piece of Harley junk.

For me, I suffer from "is it actually gonna click" anxiety. I just feel better having the wrench tell me the applied torque while tightening and then beeping. Plus they look like a cosmic dildo, which I think is funny.

If it has a lifetime warranty, it never hurts to give them a call to see if they'll warranty it. I have 3x QDs and I think they are great. I'm not sure what the future holds for Craftsman tools since they were sold to Black & Decker. B&D owns DeWalt and MAC, so who knows, maybe they will finally get the love they deserve.

·
Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
Tough to complain especially with the lifetime warranty. Good thing too because the plastic battery cover was broken right out of the box so it already needs to be exchanged.
Does yours show the torque as applied?
Staying in this thread because there is only false hope in the Clinton thread
Did you swap out your diff fasteners for new?
N/M just saw your latest update. Fastenal all the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.