JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.viduu.com/video/guy-splits-face-open-in-diving-accident/

A teenager, a 16 year old boy, dives off the seaside promenade in Beirut and slips before the dive. The slip causes him to miss the ocean and instead hit the concrete slab below where fishermen fish. He hits the concrete face first, then goes into the ocean. In a short while, the ocean for yards around has turned red with blood. There are people and boats in the water trying to help the guy and girls are screaming all over the place.

The scene then shifts to a hospital where the poor guy is being overseen by a team of doctors and nurses. His face has been split clear in two down the middle vertically!

He is still alive and conscious, he's still breathing, and his eyes are still moving around. He looks terrified. A couple of times, the doctor takes the sides of his face and pushes them together to make a whole face again. The doctor supposedly says, "Where do I begin?" a few times in Arabic.

There are a lot of rumors saying that this video is fake, but apparently it is a real video. This event occurred in Beirut in the second week of June 2009. The teenager and his brother were showing off their diving skills by diving off the Manara Promenade, which is right across from the American University on the shore of Beirut's harbor. This part of the Promenade is called Al-Rawsha, and it's long been popular with divers, although officials have always frowned on it. In fact, like the Golden Gate Bridge, it's also long been popular with suicides and attempted suicides.

It's a long way off the Manara Promenade to the sea, over 40 feet. The first part of the video shows his brother making a successful dive. He and his brother had made several jumps before and everything had gone fine, but this time he slips and disaster unfolds. This part was shot with a Nokia cellphone which shoots dark in the afternoon. This segment was shot by a girl at the scene who can be heard screaming, "Oh my God! Oh my God! Someone call the Civil Defense!" in Arabic.

The second part of the clip is the same kid in the hospital, but was shot with a different cellphone so it's looks different. The hospital staff is definitely speaking Lebanese Arabic. This part of the clip was shot in the brightly lit ER of the American University Hospital, which is only ¼ mile away from where the accident took place. That's why things are so much brighter in this part of the clip.

People are saying that there is no way that such a clip could have been shot in an ER, however, in the Developing World, it is quite common for family, friends, etc. to be present in the ER right next to the patient's bed as the staff hovers around them. It's also not uncommon that they have a cellphone on them and record the goings-on. That would probably be pretty weird in the US, but in the Arab World, no one thinks anything of it.

As you can see, they have him intubated, which is an excellent idea. However, he is not on a ventilator, nor are there any signs of monitoring equipment such a pulse oximeter. The physician is focusing on holding his face together in order to protect the airway.

All the surgeons could do was to stitch up his very deep and severe wounds in his face. Although some clinicians on the Net have said that a good ENT could patch this kid up good, this poor guy could not be saved. All they were able to do was to keep him alive in the ICU for two days before he died.

The city of Beirut has tried to stop such nonsense by putting up railings and barbed wire where people like to dive, but teenage boys and even young men in their 20's keep on diving off the Promenade in very risky circumstances. Before this accident, there were a number of other horrible diving accidents in this area, all involving teenage boys and young men

·
Registered
355 Posts
That was disturbing, especially watching him swallow and seeing how the movement of his tongue causes the whole shape of his face to separate

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Holy crap.....

Sent via horse and buggy

·
Registered
915 Posts
Wow...That jump wasn't an easy one to clear either.

The last time I jumped off the cliff I came very close to dying. It was about a 30 ft ledge and you had to run off without seeing the bottom then jump forward. I had done it a few times already barefoot. This time for some reason I wore a pair of water shoes and no one was around. Right at the edge of the cliff I slipped backwards. My hands hit a few rocks on the way down so I knew I was very close to the edge. I landed on my back and while it did hurt that pain was nothing copared to the fear I felt. It was the craziest thing that ever happened to me and I doubt I'd do it again. Just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Debating on whether or not to view this.
I need assurance it isn't all that bad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i saw this a month or so ago, it's not bad at first, the hospital is where it gets bad, when they open and close the gaping hole in his face.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
its about as graphic as you can get man.
I dont think it was fake at all, you can see his tongue etc moving inside his mouth. why would they fake that anyhow?
that was rough...

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Wow, hard core video. Young guys are dumb - I know that I was!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
It's definitely graphic in the 2nd half, so if you have a weak stomach....probalby better not to watch. But it's not really all that bad. Nothing worse than what you see in horro films these days. Some of the scenes from the SAW movies are worse.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.