JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock rear bumper and was wondering if there is a tire carrier out there that mounts to it so I can get my 37" off my stock carrier and give my rear door a break.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I did that 2 years ago.
Holds strong and no bend or anything.

Or there are carriers that bolt the the Jeep's body, etc...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
check out orfab. they make a carrier that mounts to the body. you can get one with or without jerry can carrier.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
orfab is a great carrier, just a pita to install

·
Registered
362 Posts
Until I can upgrade to a full fledge tire carrier, I went with the Smittybilt extra large tire carrier. It replaces the stock tire carrier, I have 35 in tires an instead of setting it for 35 in tires, I set it for 33 in tires and have the weight of the tire resting on the groove in the stock bumper so that carries the weight and the tire carrier basically holds it in place, but doesn't have to carry all of the weight.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/189.htm

·
Registered
182 Posts
Until I can upgrade to a full fledge tire carrier, I went with the Smittybilt extra large tire carrier. It replaces the stock tire carrier, I have 35 in tires an instead of setting it for 35 in tires, I set it for 33 in tires and have the weight of the tire resting on the groove in the stock bumper so that carries the weight and the tire carrier basically holds it in place, but doesn't have to carry all of the weight.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/189.htm
Can the 3rd brake light be installed on this? It appears in the pic that there is a bracket for the light. I checked different web pages with this for sale, but none of the descriptions mention the 3rd brake light bracket. Thanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes, 3rd brake fits perfect on it, I will take a pic in the daylight and post for you guys. It sits low so there is almost full vision out the rear window.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here's two pics that I have on my computer, not the best but it shows how I have it set up.

I should add that you can lock this carrier also with a pad lock. Would have to show the pic to explain it better, but it's pretty simple.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, 3rd brake fits perfect on it, I will take a pic in the daylight and post for you guys. It sits low so there is almost full vision out the rear window.
Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
sorry this took so long but here it is with a key lock on it. doesn't look like much but the bolt can't be turned past the lock.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was on the AEV site not to long ago and the tire carrier for their bumper, you can get a kit that will mount it to your stock bumper. The carrier opens and closes with the tailgate as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've seen that one and think it would be a good investment for anyone looking to go with the stock back bumper but wanting a tire carrier. I'm saving for that or just a whole new rear bumper and system.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a stock rear bumper and was wondering if there is a tire carrier out there that mounts to it so I can get my 37" off my stock carrier and give my rear door a break.

AEV makes a tire carrier that allows you to use your factory rear bumper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts