JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to Hanson offroad and saw their LJ with custom rubicon suspension, PSC Steering, Exo cage to a certain extent etc etc. He showed me their rear tire swing that is a reinforced box for the stock tailgate. Just wanted to know everybody's input as it states it will hold up to a 37". Perfect for those guys running 35"s though cause the stock tire mount is to weak. I really liked it though so what do you think.
here is the link http://www.hansonoffroad.com/jk-tire-carrier-p-177.html

I really like their stubby front to if I didn't already make my own.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
IDK, all it does it move the weight from the door that hanges on the hinges, to the hinges but it is still on the door side. Not sure if I explained that clear? I would think it would be worth it if it strengthened the hinges somehow, like if it replaced them and tied in stronger somehow.

The problem I am having is the whole door rattles and appears to be starting to sag a tad. That is witha 35. I could only imagine a 37 plus all that extra steel hangin on the door. The carrier itself seems strong enough, only benifit I see from this is moving the tire up and raising the third brake light, there is cheaper options for that.

My verdict is $500 is a lot of cabbage for some steel that really only replaces the carrier, doesn't reinforce hinges or anything. Plus cut plastic looks a little tacky.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
seems pointless to me. Like said before, it just puts the weight on the hinges. For another $200 I can buy a bumper and tire carrier. Not to mention, 23k miles and my gate is fine with the 35" tire.

I do like the front bumper though!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah you guys are probably right. Their rear bumper is cool though just exspensive but you get what you pay for. :beer:Cheers work is almost over.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have just been thinking about mounting my spare in the back floor and making a rack to put on top for now. I am running 35's

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I am running 35's as well. I was tired of never being able to see out the back so I removed the rear seat, made provisions to carry the spare, a cooler, toolbox, and two dry boxes. I also was able to relocate my license plate from the side/ corner and move it to the middle of the tailgate including lighting. If you have any questions- don't hesitate to ask.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts