JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just stretched my two door 8 inches. my rear currie anti rock won't work in the stock location (i can only move it back a couple of inches). i was going to flip it (not much room for that too, but do able). my question is, do i really need it off roading? what are the pros and cons?

thanks

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
i just stretched my two door 8 inches. my rear currie anti rock won't work in the stock location (i can only move it back a couple of inches). i was going to flip it (not much room for that too, but do able). my question is, do i really need it off roading? what are the pros and cons?

thanks
from the experience i have had, most guys dont normally disco the rear SB when on the trail, BUT this is due to (at least in my case) the fact that the rear really does not allow much more flex when discoed as the front does. so IMO theres no harm in being discoed in the rear on a trail.

others may chime in and disagree, as there may be problems that i do not know of.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
when I drive my jeep to work its a 200 mile round trip at about 75mph. I have been in crosswinds that were 60mph and had no issues at all..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I removed mine the 2nd week I had my Jeep and I didn't notice much of a difference on road but it does make a big difference (imo) offroad.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I can not tell the difference with or without a rear swaybar - except on the trail where my rear gets some killer articulation. When I removed my rear swaybar to go coilovers, I drove it around for a couple weeks while waiting on my Currie antirock, but never installed the antirock because It felt the same with no swaybar.

Now the front swaybar, thats a different story. My Jeep is flat-out SCARY on the road with that off.

Let the haters hate, but IMO the rear swaybar doesn't seem to do much for a JK.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Now the front swaybar, thats a different story. My Jeep is flat-out SCARY on the road with that off.
this... forgot to reconnect after leaving a buddies ranch once... after three wheeling it thru a stoplight i never forgot again...

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
So, what you're saying is that if/when I go to coilovers, don't even worry about buying the Currie, right?
I would tell you to wait and decide for yourself..... easier not to order a part than it is to sell or return an unwanted part

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
As already mentioned the rear does far less work than the front and as a much lower impact on handling. There may be times you'd notice like in emergencies; swerving to avoid a vehicle, tire blow out, etc, but otherwise it's no big deal if it's not there.

Off-road I actually prefer Antirocks to been disconnected, as they help control body movement, and help reduce those "oh crap" moments when weight shifts the balance suddenly from one side to the other.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I would tell you to wait and decide for yourself..... easier not to order a part than it is to sell or return an unwanted part
Probably good advice.

As already mentioned the rear does far less work than the front and as a much lower impact on handling. There may be times you'd notice like in emergencies; swerving to avoid a vehicle, tire blow out, etc, but otherwise it's no big deal if it's not there.

Off-road I actually prefer Antirocks to been disconnected, as they help control body movement, and help reduce those "oh crap" moments when weight shifts the balance suddenly from one side to the other.
That makes sense, too.

You guys aren't making it any easier... :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ya know I never even thought about removing the rear sway bar..I recently steped up to a set of 285/75r17's on the stock rims and while fine for around town and some mild offroad stuff...spacers are in the budget right now so this might be a free alternative...so no real negatives running without a rear sway bar on the street?

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
What - you stretched a two door 8 inches? For christsakes post some pics!

·
Registered
204 Posts
yeah my rear sway bar is in the basement,and that's where it belongs.
on the road feels the same to me,and even off road in off camber situations
I dont feel the difference.
I'm happy without!

·
Registered
285 Posts
So I yarded my sway bar out yesterday morning, Drove up to see the guys at Northridge(about 90 miles round trip) Didn't notice a thing. Either mine was worn out or it doesn't really do much..

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Depending on how lose/flexy the rear end is will help determine if you should run a rear bar. If it's too loose it will make that front end not want to travel up. At least what I've seen on a rig or two

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Bringing this old thread back to life with any updates.

I recently went to 16" outboard coil overs in the rear and to get the ride height ratio right the coils are very light, 12" 100 over 16" 150 with a 5" helper coil.

The ride is very good and really soaks up the bumps but the body roll is very noticeable.

I have been running the last year without either sway bars and 12" travel coil overs f&r and the rig was very stable and never noticed any body roll but I was running a heavier coil rate. very stable off road and could corner at speed on road with out the roll over feel.

You hear both sides of the sway bar debate, I would have to a custom set up but have room to make the rear work. The front would be tougher.

debating on adding a sway bar or just running higher coil rates and living with a rougher on road ride.

2 door, stretched to 109" wb with double triangulated 4 link rear, 3 link long arm front, with pro rocks 60's and 40's, 4" of lift.

Rig is about 50/50 on road and trails, mostly rock gardens and steep cliffs,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts