JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Shit man that sucks. I know there is a lot of pressure inside these damn thing, as shutting the door is not the easiest thing in the world.

Looks like you have an aftermarket hardtop as well, maybe they had a run of bad windows. How long have you had the top.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You didn't have something plugging the rear vent maybe?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sounds like air pressure caused it. Or someone threw a rock that his exactly as you closed the door (not very likely).

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
My guess is the glass wasn't strong enough. Was it an aftermarket panel?
Yep ^^^ That's not just air pressure, IMHO, but somehow the glass was taken beyond its ability to flex.

There could've been imperfections in the glass (voids, inclusions, fractures . . .) and/or the alloy and temper of the glass may be lacking.

More details and larger, clearer photo(s) may help us to determine the root cause (or lead to an entertaining argument :D ).
  • What brand/type of top is that?
  • Was anything touching the glass other than the top and tailgate?
  • Was the rear window wiper installed?
  • Any chance the top and tailgate had the glass in a "sprung" position?
  • How well did the glass fit in the opening and match the profiles of the mating surfaces?
  • Pics?
If the glass had no significant defects, I'd bet that it was preloaded (flexed, sprung) stressing the glass, and slamming the door just imparted the bit of energy it took to "pop the bubble" of integrity.

Tempered glass with too much temper maybe? Not sure of the glass nomenclature for brittle.
I believe the glass nomenclature for brittle is "brittle". Hope this helps. :thefinger:

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
Normal day, parked my jeep in the garage, went to get something out a couple hours later. I shut the drivers door and the rear glass blew out! No idea what caused it.
hmmm..not being familiar with other hardtop manufacturers but understanding the air pressure within the JKU cab when doors shut, etc..I would guess that the pressure was just enough to cause that gated-glass to be forced open momentarily & far enough out that it struck something we cannot see in the image....spare or third brake light bracket or somethin.....it can't be too expensive to replace the glass ...wait; what am I saying. Everything on JKs is expensive.....srry, mate. that is lame.

another edit: I just read at the Wild Boar website about thier slantback hardtop having a description which includes the following....." the rear window is bowed (another feature our competitors skip) to prevent breakage over rough terrain and hard slams."so wonder who that top is made by, as I thought it was a WildBoar.......just FWIW info...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Normal day, parked my jeep in the garage, went to get something out a couple hours later. I shut the drivers door and the rear glass blew out! No idea what caused it.
hmmm..not being familiar with other hardtop manufacturers but understanding the air pressure within the JKU cab when doors shut, etc..I would guess that the pressure was just enough to cause that gated-glass to be forced open momentarily & far enough out that it struck something we cannot see in the image....spare or third brake light bracket or somethin.....it can't be too expensive to replace the glass ...wait; what am I saying. Everything on JKs is expensive.....srry, mate. that is lame.

another edit: I just read at the Wild Boar website about thier slantback hardtop having a description which includes the following....." the rear window is bowed (another feature our competitors skip) to prevent breakage over rough terrain and hard slams."so wonder who that top is made by, as I thought it was a WildBoar.......just FWIW info...
That is very I interesting. Thank you for that info. It is not a wild boar top.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Damn. I have been thinking of getting one of their tops.

Other than the window mysteriously blowing out, what are your thoughts on the top.

Maybe DV8 can chime in about the glass they use.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts