JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted on in a while but need help! I am repairing my rear end and the overhaul kit i bought for a non rubi 44 came with carrier bearings that are way too small to press on. I do have an arb air locker would that be the difference? Still running the non rubi 30 spline axles and the outer diameter of the carrier is exactly 2 inches. Would the arb require rubi carrier bearings even though the axle shafts are still non rubi? The pinion gear went on fine. Thanks if anyone has a clue it would be a great help!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yea the ARB carrier uses different bearings. I can look up the part number when I get home but I don't know the Timkin bearing number sorry. Shims are different as well.

Sean

·
Registered
294 Posts
The pinion bearings are the same as well as the shims and seal and the new nut and washer or flanged nut if it came with one. Double check the numbers on the bearings to make sure they match.

You use the stock master shim as the outermost carrier shim and the skinnier ARB master shims against the carrier bearing cups and then the ARB skinny shims between them.

Have you seen any of these two write-ups on gearing, very helpful:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/gearing-82262/

Sean

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check the links. Thanks for the help! Downside is I pulled everything apart before I realized it was different and no one is open to order new parts today.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I looked at my directions for my Dana 44 ARB locker and the part number for the carrier bearings is #160101. Model number is RD117. Funny thing is it says for 30 spline 3.73 and down but I got 4.88's, I thought that was up???

Sean

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
Thanks I was afraid that was my problem. Do you know if the pinion gear will be different? It pressed on easy
Pinion bearing diameters are all the same for JK axles. Just the gap between them and the needed crush sleeve are different.

I looked at my directions for my Dana 44 ARB locker and the part number for the carrier bearings is #160101. Model number is RD117. Funny thing is it says for 30 spline 3.73 and down but I got 4.88's, I thought that was up???

Sean
JK 44 axles use "thick cut" gears, meaning the overall thickness of the ring gear is greater, resulting in using 1 carrier offset as opposed to 2 for standard 44's. A 3.73 and numerically lower carrier will work with ALL JK gears. A 3.92 and numercally higher will not work.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I haven't posted on in a while but need help! I am repairing my rear end and the overhaul kit i bought for a non rubi 44 came with carrier bearings that are way too small to press on. I do have an arb air locker would that be the difference? Still running the non rubi 30 spline axles and the outer diameter of the carrier is exactly 2 inches. Would the arb require rubi carrier bearings even though the axle shafts are still non rubi? The pinion gear went on fine. Thanks if anyone has a clue it would be a great help!
Just to confirm, ARB does require they're own bearings [sizes] that are different than OEM.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
Just to confirm, ARB does require they're own bearings [sizes] that are different than OEM.
I know for a fact that their rubi locker (RD157) uses rubicon carrier bearings. You may be correct on the others tho.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I know for a fact that their rubi locker (RD157) uses rubicon carrier bearings. You may be correct on the others tho.
The JK D30 is definitely a different bearing. Haven't done a D44, just assumed.

·
Registered
593 Posts
To my knowledge the arb's that require different carrier bearings come with them in the box. Or at least my arb's did.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes they are definitely different on both ARB D44 and D30. I just finished mine and now I have two sets of each stock carrier bearings left over from the master install kit. They come with the lockers.

Sean

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for the help. The guys at northridge 4x4 took care of me. FYI to anyone else who comes across this problem there are even different bearings for arb lockers depending on how old the unit is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts