JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been advised to truss my rear axle, in addition to my other upgrades. I like building some beef into my Jeep, so I'm OK with that. :bounce:

But I've failed at finding a rear axle truss for sale. I'm looking for one that is close to the width of the housing, not just a few inches on either side of the diff. I don't have time to fab much anymore, and my welding skills aren't that good - I'll have that part done.

So - can you guys help me where search has failed me? Who offers one?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
As opposed to the wimpy front housings, JK rear axle housings are pretty stout. Unless you plan on jumping it I'd use the money on something else.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with the comment above. However, if you still want a truss I can draw one up in cad, have it lasered out and fit it here to ensure it works well and send it out to you.
Alex
PM Sent

·
Registered
879 Posts
I agree with the comment above. However, if you still want a truss I can draw one up in cad, have it lasered out and fit it here to ensure it works well and send it out to you.
Alex

I'd be interested in seeing pics of it :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
As opposed to the wimpy front housings, JK rear axle housings are pretty stout. Unless you plan on jumping it I'd use the money on something else.
X2. The axle shaft flanges would most likely bend before the housing/tubes would.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I'll be installing one of these when I find the time;

http://artecindustries.3dcartstores.com/Dana-44-JK-Axle-Truss-_p_160.html

As already mentioned, the rear axle is pretty stout, but a truss is a also good place to mount some tabs for a three link or whatever. You can bend tubes without jumping a vehicle, but the common cause is usually getting airborne.

Welding to axle tubes is not without some risk, it is all too easy to bend the tubes if you do not take your time with the welding and avoid getting the tubes too hot. Welding to the pumpkin requires high nickel and a delicate touch.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Welding to axle tubes is not without some risk, it is all too easy to bend the tubes if you do not take your time with the welding and avoid getting the tubes too hot. Welding to the pumpkin requires high nickel and a delicate touch.
We did the pre-heat method on the cast with a torch.. then mig welded to it.. no problem, no cracks.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's for the front axle.
Yes, but I saw a rear one for a JK 44 - except it says it's for putting it into a TJ/LJ. Wonder why?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts