JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You should stick to something that has the same bolt pattern as your pro rock so you don't hve to change wheels and outers up front
Currie or teraflex 60's arent to pricey
A prorock 60 rear is sexy but can get $$

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
You should stick to something that has the same bolt pattern as your pro rock so you don't hve to change wheels and outers up front
Currie or teraflex 60's arent to pricey
A prorock 60 rear is sexy but can get $$
Very true on the bp

·
Vendor
558 Posts
Its not as fun of a fabrication project but you should consider saving some money and time and going with the Military JK-8 D60 rear.

Our Shop JK runs one. Its been punished by Rob, who used to professionally rock race, and has a heavy right foot. Its held up perfectly to all of the most difficult trails in the west, Lac Cruces, Montrose, Hammers, etc...with 500HP from the 6.4L VVT HEMI. He ran 37's for a long while, but recently went up to 40's for the JK Experience run...at which he ran Carnage and Billings Canyon here in Colorado.

The only obstacle is cutting off the leaf spring perches, and welding on factory bracketry...

You should consider this a viable option. Especially if Rob hasn't been able to kill it.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I thought there weren't gearsets available for that axle?

Its not as fun of a fabrication project but you should consider saving some money and time and going with the Military JK-8 D60 rear.

Our Shop JK runs one. Its been punished by Rob, who used to professionally rock race, and has a heavy left foot. Its held up perfectly to all of the most difficult trails in the west, Lac Cruces, Montrose, Hammers, etc...with 500HP from the 6.4L VVT HEMI. He ran 37's for a long while, but recently went up to 40's for the JK Experience run...at which he ran Carnage and Billings Canyon here in Colorado.

The only obstacle is cutting off the leaf spring perches, and welding on factory bracketry...

You should consider this a viable option. Especially if Rob hasn't been able to kill it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Our Shop JK runs one. Its been punished by Rob, who used to professionally rock race, and has a heavy left foot. Its held up perfectly to all of the most difficult trails in the west, Lac Cruces, Montrose, Hammers, etc...with 500HP from the 6.4L VVT HEMI. He ran 37's for a long while, but recently went up to 40's for the JK Experience run...at which he ran Carnage and Billings Canyon here in Colorado.

And where can these be found?? I have a 14 bolt already sitting in my shop but with me the only thing I don't have enough of is time.:bawling:

·
Rock God
537 Posts
Keep in mind that the J8 60 is a c-clip 60.

We offer our Trail Series 60 with the ProRock option and pricing is very competitive. We can also dual drill the axle shafts so the rear can use stock 5 on 5 or 5 or a 5 on 5.5" wheel bolt pattern.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Why would you go with another c clip axle?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is the stock rear 44 a c-clip axle? Like the ones with the c-clips on the shafts?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I may be biased considering I have one, the Tera CRD 60 has been great. Tons of adjustability, beefy, the shafts are drilled for either 5 on 5 or 5 on 5.5. Prob a lot more but thats what comes to mind at the moment.

I could see ya going pro-rock to match the front if that mattered or not. Either way would be a good chioce.

·
Registered
339 Posts
no, you have retaining plates. the only C clip 44 that i know about are the wierd aluminum ones
That's good to know. I just watched a Xtreme 4x4 show that talked about the differences. I thought the JK 44 was the retaining plate one, but then got confused when I saw someone post about replacing a c-clip with a c-clip...

Thanks.

·
Vendor
558 Posts
I thought there weren't gearsets available for that axle?
The J8 rear axle is a c-clip Low Pinion Dana 60, so you there are plenty of gear ratios available. We run 5.38s.

And where can these be found?? I have a 14 bolt already sitting in my shop but with me the only thing I don't have enough of is time.:bawling:
They are pretty hard to find, we stumbled on a set. A friend installed Dyantrac 60s front and rear on his Jeep, so he sold us the J8 Front Dana 44 and Rear Dana 60 for our Dixie build. He purchased the J8 axles new from Dynatrac I believe. Mopar Accessories also sells them.

Why would you go with another c clip axle?
The Dana 60 c-clips are not ideal, but they are still 35 spline. You will have to snap an axle shaft to have an issue. With all the power and abuse we have put to these axles we are yet to have a problem.

When we installed the J8 axles the normal upgrades to the front axle were performed, sleeved (sleeves have to be machined down as the J8 44 has thicker axle tubes) and gusseted. We also added an ARB front locker, 5.38 R&P and 35 spline RCV shafts. The rear J8 required a bit more work, the factory leaf spring brackets were removed and a Teraflex JK bracket kit was welded into place. It also runs an ARB and 5.38 gears.

My favorite part about the J8 axles are the brakes. Fronts are 13.25" with dual piston calipers and the rears are 13.85", single piston caliper and integral parking brake. Basically the J8 axles run Ram 1500 brakes. With 40" tires, and 500 hp larger brakes are a necessity.

J8 axles have a 5x5.5" bolt pattern.

I have been really happy with this set up, but if I had to do it again I would install a Prorock 44 front with the same internals and use a Trail series 60 with the Prorock up grade. In the end I would spend the same amount of money, but the install would not take as much time.

Hope this helps :beer:
Paul

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Been running a CRD60R for 6months now with no issues. I'm lite on the foot, so I wouldn't expect any.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Have you thought about any 3rd member axles? spider 9s or diamond?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts