JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pulling my hair out trying to find sometime inexpensive to install in my Jeep cargo area that will prevent theft.

I've contemplated the Bestop instatrunk but for $200 i would think that it would be much bigger?

There are tons of storage chest that would fit perfectly inside a jeep cargo area but they are typically more expensive with the added space that they offer. Also, a considerable downside is that you would need to bolt them into the floor versus using factorying bolt locations.

Is there anything out there that is around $100 that is a nice big storage box that wont look out of place in the back of a jeep?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Before you buy something, have you given any thought to making your own. I know some people out there in JK land have made their own cargo area covers and mounted them to the factory hard top locations using a two panel system to work around the sport bars. I've been meaning to do it myself and do a write up as JKO lacks one. If you like I can PM you a write up that I've seen but its from JKF and I personally don't support traffic to them, but if it will save you $$$ and you think you can do it yourself then I'll pass on the info as I have it saved on my home PC from back when I was a member.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not a bolt in or kit, but I built a trunk for mine that secures with padlocks to the seat latches (I haven't had the rear seat in my rig since the day I brought it home). The trunk was about $50 or so, and a set of matching padlocks, some cutting and viola, semi secure trunk. It is in no way as secure as a Tuffy or Bestop, but it is a deterrent and it keeps people from just grabbing things as they walk by. If I get a chance I will snap some pictures, in the process of a move right now, so not quite sure where I put it.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have something similar to this

Secured to rear seat mounts on passanger side and passanger seat goes all the way back, Can still open Tuffy lid on storage bin, I also have a lock on it.

Just use two u-bolts with the strap, measure and drill on the bin. Takes about 10 minutes total, will try and post a pic later today. Total cost around $40 (bin was on clearance at Home Depot)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I purchased this one from Cabela's for $29.99. Fit's great, has wheels, lockable. Tied down with bunjee so easily removable. I use it more for keeping loose items in one place and out of site. I wouldn't use it to secure expensive items from being stolen, althugh, out of site out of mind.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0065656518782a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=36&Ntk=Products&QueryText=plano&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts