JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks, just curious on how much yall have actually muscled with yall's JK. I'm pretty sure the manual puts the maximum at 2000lbs for a 2-door and 3000lbs for the 4-door but what have yall put them through? The reason I'm asking is because this happened earlier...

In short, my mighty 2-door got stuck dragging around the biggest load of square bales (240) earlier today and with each weighing in at about 60lbs, that's 14,400lbs+the weight of the 2 trailers equaling out to we'll over 8 times the manufacturers max. But then again these are just wagons that roll easy and hell, all I had to do is drop it in 4lo and it'd idle at about 1mph.

So pretty much, what's the stupidly oversized stuff yall have managed to wag around?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I towed a 25 ft enclosed trailer with my four door. not very far but still did it. guessing around 4000

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Theres a guy who lives near me who regularly tows a decent size bass boat to and from the lake with his jku. Bass boat prob weighs 4-5k lbs. Ours weighs over 6 (prob more like 7) with all our crap plus fuel in it.

With my 2 door I recently towed a 10 foot uhaul with a bunch of my tools and crap from az to cali and It did just fine. Id imagine I was a little over 2k

Sent from inside the Death Star

·
Registered
190 Posts
Towed my now sold pop up all the time. Loaded weight probably in the 2500lb neighborhood. No sway issues and climbs the mountains of wv just fine. My next pop up will be a bit heavier and be closer to 32-3400 loaded. Still under my max rating of 3500. The same engine in the ram is rated for somewhere over 7000 so I don't think power is an issue. My biggest problem is finding a good balance for tongue weight, these pop ups tend to be nose heavy and it squats the back end down a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
My biggest problem is finding a good balance for tongue weight, these pop ups tend to be nose heavy and it squats the back end down a bit.
Get a weight distributing hitch. It'll level it right out.

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
Um, Second month after I got it ( this is an older image of my Jeep) I was asked to tow a washer/dryer, leather sofa , three room sized oriental wool rugs and a table and chairs ( approximately 1100 lbs I came to discover later) ACROSS NASHVILLE from North to West approx 30 miles and the freaking UHaul dudes were staring out the window ( I am sure placing bets about me coming back) at my connected rental of the 3500lb sized trailer. Yeah, I knew the weight was my max tow with 4.10s ( I got a rare '11 sahara w/ factory ordered gearing and heavy tow setup) but my Mom and Dad figured I would be pulling about 400lbs. This is an AUTOMATIC JKU. With the 3.8. Needless to say, once I turned in the trailer ( yeah, I made it ) I ordered a fan equipped aux tranny cooler that evening after I read about tow limits.
It is funny to see how the JK looks like it would fit in the trailer.

<BTW, Raider14 ; I guess it don't rain much there where you are cause I would hate to think what that much weight would do to that 2 door with those ProComps sportin about 1/32" o tread left on 'em! Those bales would keep right on pushing you across whatever tarmac they were attached ( when dry) to! >

·
Registered
110 Posts
Seems like a JKU wouldn't be any worse at towing around 5k than the XJ. My XJ was rated to tow 5000 (only managed 3500 poorly). I always consider boats being easier to tow since they have much less wind resistance then a box trailer.

The 2 door is probably pushing it though since it's already prone to wander, well mine does anyway. I'd tow right above 2k though but not much more.

The speed you are towing at has a lot to do with how unsafe it becomes. Tow slow.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I used my dads little 4X8 trailer and picked up a pallet of Sheet Rock not sure that It weighed, then I got a bunch of premium 2X4 studs strapped it all down on top of the pallet of sheet rock and took it home so my brother could start the remodel in the home I bought.

I still had 15 sheets of sheet rock last weekend so we started hanging it in the garage to make it a little nicer in there.

that was pulled with my 07 Rubicon 6 spd. It did fine I think it would have hauled more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I rented the same u haul trailer to tow a Cushman diesel snowblower tractor 60 miles home. Trailer was about 2000 lbs empty and the tractor was another 2000. With my 2011 jku auto. It was heavy but rolled along at 55. My 2014 would pull much better but it's a 2 door.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Um, Second month after I got it ( this is an older image of my Jeep) I was asked to tow a washer/dryer, leather sofa , three room sized oriental wool rugs and a table and chairs ( approximately 1100 lbs I came to discover later) ACROSS NASHVILLE from North to West approx 30 miles and the freaking UHaul dudes were staring out the window ( I am sure placing bets about me coming back) at my connected rental of the 3500lb sized trailer. Yeah, I knew the weight was my max tow with 4.10s ( I got a rare '11 sahara w/ factory ordered gearing and heavy tow setup) but my Mom and Dad figured I would be pulling about 400lbs. This is an AUTOMATIC JKU. With the 3.8. Needless to say, once I turned in the trailer ( yeah, I made it ) I ordered a fan equipped aux tranny cooler that evening after I read about tow limits.
It is funny to see how the JK looks like it would fit in the trailer.

<BTW, Raider14 ; I guess it don't rain much there where you are cause I would hate to think what that much weight would do to that 2 door with those ProComps sportin about 1/32" o tread left on 'em! Those bales would keep right on pushing you across whatever tarmac they were attached ( when dry) to! >
Hey now, easy there its 1/16" :thefinger:.... LOL I know... I'm getting new tires in the next week or so, probably Nitto trail grapplers. But I can't complain, those crappy ProComps were free

But as the towing, it never left 4lo or over 25mph so stopping wasn't an issue. And just for the record, I didn't exactly do this by choice, I offered to move a trailer and ended up with a loaded one.. And rain? It exists?? I only hear about that from the crazy old timers!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was recently building a deck at my mother-in-law's house and used my '14 6-speed on 37's to tow a 16' flatbed loaded with 64 16' 5/4 board, 48 8'x2x6, 28 8'x2x8 and some misc deck blocks, paver base, tools, etc... It pulled no problem and stopped reasonably well, although I didn't take it above 35mph. No idea on total weight, but if I had to throw a guess I'd say the trailer had at least 3K on it.

As someone stated, I don't think the pull is the issue on the JK. It's the stop and frame strength.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The JK has excellent brakes. A trailer over 3k should have it's own brakes too so no real issue there. The length of the JKU is pretty good and the frame is solid.

What you lack is power. At low speeds and slow starts the JKU would be fine with a lot of weight. Trying to keep that moving 65mph on a highway though is going to be tough, every slightest hill will try to push you back to 55.

Carrying that much weight at speed in a 2 door though is just insane, the jeep just isn't long enough to control the trailer when the wind blows though or a grove starts swaying the trailer. You'd get yanked off the highway with the trailer or at least lose control.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I towed my buddy's 16.5" fishing boat. All together, it was probably around 1800 pounds. The JK did ok...but you could certainly feel the boat pushing the Jeep stopping. Worse part was the fact that we were going on backroads, following the river. So that meant some pretty sharp corners and some steep inclines and declines. I did notice the Jeep DRANK fuel like it was fueling the boat, too. Overall, I'd certainly tow it again. But no chance in hell would I do any more than that.

Oh, and mines a 2 door :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a boat and the trailer and boat would be about 4200lbs. I am looking to tow the boat within my neighborhood about 1/2 a mile. I have a 12 JKUR on 37's. I am not looking to tow on main roads or interstate. The boat ramp is pretty steep. Is it reasonable to think that I can pull the boat and trailer out of the water with my Jeep within my neighborhood w/o trashing my tranny?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts