JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market to pickup a Rubicon and am curious as to what's the real world gas mileage on these JK's. I will be purchasing a 6spd manual as well.

I found out after buying my Ranger that it's "rated" mileage, and what I could get out of it...were far off. If the 15/19 of the Rubicon holds true, then I should be about even with my Ranger, and not too bad. Though I can't get over 17 on the highway with mine with the 33s.

Thanks! Hoping to get more Rubicon numbers since the tire and gear ratio differences vs the Sahara and X.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm a little heavy on the skinny at times but with 4.10's and 35"s I get about 13-13.5 city and 16.5-17.5 highway. This is on a 2DR MANual transmission Rubicon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a two door manual X. It has the S package so it has the same size tires as a Rubicon but the rear end gears are different. Mine has the tow package so I think the rear end gears are 3.72. It is bone stock. On the back roads where the speed limit is 55 I get an honest 20 mpg. I don't do much time on the freeway but it seems to get a little worse mileage at 70 mph. Maybe 18 mpg on the freeway. I don't use 6th gear unless I'm on the freeway. It's a pretty tall gear. I drive it pretty easy. I don't see much point in being a lead foot in a Jeep.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2009 Sahara Unlimited with 6 speed and the wimpy 3.21 gears. I get 16-17 MPG in town and 22-23 on the highway (doing 60 mph in 5th). When I head down state on I75 (75 MPH) MPG drops to about 20-21 in 6th.

Strange enough, when running 60 MPH... 6th gear gets worse mileage than 5th. Lower RPMs, but I guess the engine is actually working harder. I think this goes to validate when people put bigger tires on and then go with shorter gears (numerically higher) they're mileage actually improves. I buy it!!!

Ben

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
08 2dr X/s,auto,3:73 limited slip,same wheel/tire size as the rubi.Around 19-19.5 around town,22plus highway.Around town I turn off the OD due to a 45mph speed limit and hills.No complaints about mpg.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
I've got a 4-door auto. 08 Rubi. Stock tires. I get 18.5 combo street/hwy. on a recent trip to west palm beach i got a consistent 23.5 mpg set at 65 mph. I use 87 octane. Your mileage is going to vary according to your foot weight and the terrain you drive in. I've seen most of the hill/mountain dwellers getting less.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
The EPA changed their ratings of fuel economy in 2008. The current window sticker reflects 80mph in extreme cold and warm temps with stop and go traffic for the city.

www.fueleconomy.gov

My friends are getting 23.5 hwy 2dr X 23S package with 3.73's. My boss is gay and has a 2wd wrangler Sahara 4dr auto and gets 23mpg. My coworker gets 21.3 mpg with a 2008 wrangler 4dr sahara 4x4.

Jason

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If I am lucky 17 mpg on he hwy.
09 4dr Rubi stock 32's and 4:10's.
I also drive alot of mountains on the hwy.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Hilly West Texas, mostly highway and LOTS of wind
35" mud grapplers, 5.13 gears, auto rubicon
hypertech programmer, airaid spacer, aev snorkle with a ram air and flowmaster 44 muffler
cruise set at 70MPH
~11.5 MPG
with the same setup and stock 4.10 gears I got ~10.5
The wind out here seems to be the big killer.
25MPH winds are considered a breeze and we usually have 40+ gusts at least monthly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an '09 Rubi. According to the computer I was getting about 14.8 City and it jumped to 17.6 after over 200 miles of highway today.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
i have an 07 unlimited X and get about 9 litres per 100 kms... not sure what that would be in miles... only get this if i drive like an old lady... :grinpimp:

·
Registered
470 Posts
i have an 07 unlimited X and get about 9 litres per 100 kms... not sure what that would be in miles... only get this if i drive like an old lady... :grinpimp:
I get three parsecs to the filmar.:thefinger:

Manual X w/33's avg about 16 in town. 19 on the hwy. The avg mpg on the computer runs about 2mph higher that the actual.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have an auto X 2-door, with two inch lift that netted 3, also with the 4.10 gears like on the Rubi (you could get those on the 07 X), and 33s. I get between 14-16 in mixed driving...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Without having the spedo reprogrammed for 35" tires, how far off do you think the milage/MPG may be getting calculated?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's huge between my 31s and 33s on my Ranger. About 40 miles per 200 miles off or so..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have a 4 door, 6 speed Rubicon and I get around 16 mpg in the city. On the highway if I am a throttle junky I get around 20 but if I keep a nice 70 and just cruise I get more around 22.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 09 Sahara Unlimited Wrangler auto and around town I'm getting about 15 and on the hiway I show about 19 but my hard calculations tell me I am getting only 18. Of course it is new with less that 3,000 miles.

Carl

·
Registered
231 Posts
2007 Sahara 4x4 4:10's 35's 6speed, 4" superlift
No Wind 60-65 mph - 17+
No wind 70+mph - 15+

The daily 25mph winds - Total average is around 13.5 city or hwy, doors/no doors, top/no top

Speed limits in TX are 70mph, and even 65mph around town so my average is between 13.7 or so for daily driving around town.

I am going to put 4:88's in mine, hoping to do better than Venoms 11.5mph with 5:13's - I feel the pain with the wind....my jeep is not very wind friendly.....feels like a parachute sometimes.....

Bottom line is the stock jeeps will do much better with the smaller tires and no lift.

·
Registered
914 Posts
ive only had my 2009 Unlimited Rubicon for a few weeks. the first tank was 17.5mpg, second tank was 16mpg and the most recent was 17.5mpg. during the last tank the jeep felt smoother as if the break-in was finished. all my driving is mix of highway and city

1 - 20 of 47 Posts