JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about the amount of brass my 15-22 will be spitting out when I take it out to plink, probably hundreds of rounds. I wouldn't mind doing some desert shooting, but I want to keep my footprint at zero while firing. Do they sell something like this off the shelf?

· Premium Member
3,424 Posts
At my local range, I saw a homemade brass catcher that I really liked. The base was a C clamp, that could be secured to the edge of the bench. The pole was made from electrical conduit. The conduit passed through a coupler of some type because he could adjust the height and lock it with a set screw. The hoop was made from some heavy gauge wire, shaped like a rectangle, maybe 24X18 inches. Some 1/4 in. netting sewn around the hoop, with enough material to form a pouch. I thought it was the coolest thing. I can see making one for those desert/BLM shoots. Maybe use an umbrella base to keep the thing from flying away. Personally, I don't like having a net attached to my rifle.

· R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At my local range, I saw a homemade brass catcher that I really liked. The base was a C clamp, that could be secured to the edge of the bench. The pole was made from electrical conduit. The conduit passed through a coupler of some type because he could adjust the height and lock it with a set screw. The hoop was made from some heavy gauge wire, shaped like a rectangle, maybe 24X18 inches. Some 1/4 in. netting sewn around the hoop, with enough material to form a pouch. I thought it was the coolest thing. I can see making one for those desert/BLM shoots. Maybe use an umbrella base to keep the thing from flying away. Personally, I don't like having a net attached to my rifle.
That's not a bad idea. Something stationary with a big enough throat to catch ejected casings...

I'll have to look at that idea closer. I tend to agree with having a limp casing condom flopping around on the side would be annoying. Maybe an actual box, though.

· Official Monkey Business
12,216 Posts
You collect enough of that brass and its worth some money. The reload guys love to buy it up.

· Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,131 Posts

· Registered
2,134 Posts
.22LR can't be reloaded. But you can recycle it, and after 10K rounds, get $1 back :) Seriously, though- recycle it! Better than throwing it in the trash.

I got a brass catcher off of Amazon- about $15-25 (I forget), and it clips on and works nicely. Holds about 40 rounds of 5.56/.223, about 50-60 of 300 BLK, or one heck of a lot of .22LR I'd imagine! Mark W.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.