JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for tires in the near future and I was wondering if anybody has used re-treaded tires? Do they hold up on the road and on the trail? Are there any issues with them? I heard about them from a buddy who found a place that sells them for a great price but I just wanted to get some other opinions. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Im assuming you are talking about Treadwright. They make good stuff. Google will bring up all sorts of reviews on them.

I have a set of 5 32 inch (whatever metric size that is because I don't remember) BFG AT copes. They are on BFG carcases too so you really can't tell they are retreads. They are on 16 inch stock JK wheels. I use them on two trailers I have that see trail use. One has been pulled across the country and back with no issues. For kicks, I threw them on my JK and out around 5k on them just to see how they are. They are slightly louder than real BFGs but otherwise are great. I've had no problems at all and would recommend them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've seen nothing but good reviews of treadwright, I'm pretty sure I'm going the 37" hummer route, but if I didn't then treadwright 35" was my second choice.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
When I first lifted my old blaZeR2 I went with the treadwrights since I was low on cash.

They were used for a few years before I upgraded wheel/tires.

And once I got my JK same deal I was broke. So bought adapters and ran the same ol retreads on the jeep up until a month or so ago.

They are well worth the money. I had the old style mtr copys. I was happy with the traction everywhere. They were a little heavy, and took slightly more weight than others.

Only thing I rec is that you request matching sidewalls so you look legit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've had the Treadwright Guard Dogs. Love them. Have had them 20k. Will be getting the 37s when these are worn. No issues.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I was hoping to hear, thanks everyone. I think I am going with the 33'' MTR copy and now I know to ask for matching sidewalls. I can not wait to order em and try them out!

Cheers,
Chris :beer::beer:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the guard dogs since you can't beat the price in the equivalent of a 32. I was skeptical at first ,but I have put them through hell plus driven from el paso to philly and then back a month ago. Traction is good in about everything, if I'm still poor in a few months I will most likely get them in there 35s.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just ordered a set of (5) 315/70R17 Guard Dog's from Treadwright on BFG A/T casings with the Kedge Grip (crushed walnut shells & glass). I haven't installed them onto my Jeep yet, but I had them in 31's for my Samurai, loved them, and then sold them to my buddy who still daily drives and 4wheels on them and loves them.

Don't listen to the douchebags on the douchebag forum who've never tried them - the Treadwrights are awesome tires. Ask anyone who's owned them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I did end up going with 35" treadwright. They are on backorder though I've been waiting 2 weeks and now they say it could be 2 more.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did end up going with 35" treadwright. They are on backorder though I've been waiting 2 weeks and now they say it could be 2 more.
Wow. They told me to expect 10 days before they would be shipped, and I received 5 tracking numbers that same afternoon! FedEx dropped them off (at my neighbor's house :cwm13: ) 3 days later.

I just got them mounted up and they look perfect! All 5 took surprisingly little weight to balance.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Wow. They told me to expect 10 days before they would be shipped, and I received 5 tracking numbers that same afternoon! FedEx dropped them off (at my neighbor's house :cwm13: ) 3 days later.

I just got them mounted up and they look perfect! All 5 took surprisingly little weight to balance.
can you post a pic of them

im in the poor house too and have been looking at these...

·
Registered
218 Posts

I even offered to pay an expedite fee... Oh well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
awesome...you get the 315/70r17?
Yup.

They're so much smoother and quieter than the half-worn OEM BFGs. I'm anxious to see what traction differences there are when we get some weather or get some dirt under them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts