JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with a RE lift (or other long arm lift) seen this kind of thing before? I have noticed that the rubber bushing on the upper rear pass side arm is starting to split open. Not sure why this is happening. I guess I will contact Rubicon Express and see what they say, but in the meantime, I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions as to the possible cause or if they have also had this happen. The lift only has about 5,000 miles on it. I had the rear wheel off on that side because I am currently trying to find a slight squeak (related to a suspension component...Only squeaks when going over bumps, and I can hear it towards this location). Also wondering if this might be causing the squeak.

FWIW- It's a little hard to see in the pictures (only visible in the 2nd and 3rd pics). The split/ deterioration is on the left side where the bushing sticks out a little from the side of the control arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
FWIW The rubber bushings on my RockRunner arms are starting to fall apart also, they have split and look nasty. I discovered it when tracking down a creaking sound coming from the suspension.

Not sure if it is the quality of the rubber bushings that causes this, or from all the flexing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rubber bushings will often outlast urethane. The key is to make sure that they are tightened and torqued with the vehicle at ride height. Otherwise they are prestressed when driving down the road.

They are typically used by the aftermarket for cost reasons, not performance reasons. It is much cheaper to create urethane molds and the volume requirements are much lower.

The Tera arm bushing failure really looks like a preload failure.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonder if RE will replace this (and the other side) for no charge? I guess they could say it was an installation issue. Hope not...with only about 5k miles on it. Also starting to wonder if the WD-40 I hit this area with today, will degrade the rubber even quicker?

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
Wonder if RE will replace this (and the other side) for no charge? I guess they could say it was an installation issue. Hope not...with only about 5k miles on it. Also starting to wonder if the WD-40 I hit this area with today, will degrade the rubber even quicker?
Should be a easy call to find out. With the number of miles on it, I am sure they will replace a bushing that probably costs less than a buck to make their customer happy. Let us know what they say.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rubicon Express continues to have great customer support. Although it was a judgement call on their part, they ultimately decided to ship the replacement bushings out same day at no charge. I emphasized that the control arms were indeed torqued while jeep was on the ground and not while on a lift. Several questions and comments leter, they were getting my shipping info. I feel for a guy thats in CT's position. You have to protect the company's interests but at the same time, you want to keep the customer happy. I am extremely pleased with their willingness to listen to me before making a decision. This is my third RE lift and I will continue purchasing their products in the future. Bushings are bushings, but the quality in the RE components is really top notch as well as their professional attitude. Thank you CT.

BTW- Even though the pass side bushing is splitting/ damaged , the WD-40 got rid of the squeak. Now I can finally turn my radio back down.

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
Rubicon Express continues to have great customer support. Although it was a judgement call on their part, they ultimately decided to ship the replacement bushings out same day at no charge. I emphasized that the control arms were indeed torqued while jeep was on the ground and not while on a lift. Several questions and comments leter, they were getting my shipping info. I feel for a guy thats in CT's position. You have to protect the company's interests but at the same time, you want to keep the customer happy. I am extremely pleased with their willingness to listen to me before making a decision. This is my third RE lift and I will continue purchasing their products in the future. Bushings are bushings, but the quality in the RE components is really top notch as well as their professional attitude. Thank you CT.

BTW- Even though the pass side bushing is splitting/ damaged , the WD-40 got rid of the squeak. Now I can finally turn my radio back down.
Good to hear! Had to believe they would stand behind their product...or in this case their vendors product. Just curious, how much would the bushing have cost you?

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never even had to ask what they would've cost, although I am pretty sure this was my only "get out of jail free" card. Next time I will not necessarily expect the same sympathy. I will however, keep the new ones maintained and lubed to prolong the life.

·
Registered
229 Posts

In my dealings with CT he has alway been awesome. Actually I have never had a bad experience with RE. They do good work!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Never even had to ask what they would've cost, although I am pretty sure this was my only "get out of jail free" card. Next time I will not necessarily expect the same sympathy. I will however, keep the new ones maintained and lubed to prolong the life.
Yeah, I have one that needs relplacement too. It is one of the oem's on their older Long arms. It is close to 6 yrs old, so I expect to pay for the bushing. (or punch it out of my old short arms if I can find them) I think I beat my pos harder than most though.

I have never lubed a rubber bushing, let us know if it helps.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i know it will help to get it in there, and as RE suggested, it will at the least keep it more "conditioned" while going thru the mud, heat, etc. I know these bushings take an extreme amt of stress, so anything that keeps em maintained will definately prolong the life. I also will post up a pic when I get it (or both sides) out to show how bad it really is. As I said...the WD-40 instantly quieted the squeak into submission.

FWIW, Beat95- I am sure that company's like RE appreciate the honesty of people like you, that have no problem admitting things like "they were 6 yrs old/ sure I will have to pay..." That keeps all of us on a better level/ relationship when we have to make that call for assistance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
FWIW, Beat95- I am sure that company's like RE appreciate the honesty of people like you, that have no problem admitting things like "they were 6 yrs old/ sure I will have to pay..." That keeps all of us on a better level/ relationship when we have to make that call for assistance.
With all my issues, I am always honest with vendors.

I work for a company that builds aftermarket parts and I have some say over warrantee claims and customer credits. I hate when customers try to bs me. That is usually when I say reject their claims. If you are honest and tell the truth I am often willing to process a claim that I know is out of date or otherwise not valid. As a result I treat every company I deal with the same way I want to be treated.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice being able to sleep sound at night , not worrying about lies and who's gonna find out...etc. Wish more people had that attitude.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well... just checked mine. I have had the lift for only a few months. Both rears are coming apart.:bawling: Time to cal R.E. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.