JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a show of ignorance here but I'm going to ask the question so I know...

Can someone explain to me the purpose of re-gearing? What's do the ratios mean? What's a good ratio to have?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
When upgrading your tires to a larger size, the factory gearing also needs to come up, so that the vehicle is back closer to stock setting. With larger tires (and no re-gearing), the acceleration sometimes becomes an issue. It isn't as bad in manuals due to having the ability to manually manipulate your shift points, but in automatics, there can be a very sluggish feel with bigger tires and OEM gearing (3:73's or 4:10's).

For the JK.....

Manual trans- with 33's- OEM gearing might feel okay.
Manual trans- with 35's- might want to go with 4:88's.
Manual trans- with 37's- might want to go with 5:13's.

Auto trans- with 33's- might want to go with a 4:88's.
Auto trans- with 35's- might want to go with a 5:13's.
Auto trans- with 37's- might want to go with a 5:38's.

Some may re-gear differently than this- but as a reference, these are generally the most popular tire/ gearing combination's that I have seen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so how much would it cost to regear and is it absolutely necessary to do so for 33's? I have an Auto

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
As low as maybe $800 (gears/ labor/ fluid/ etc), and I've seen gear installs at $1200+. Depends a lot on your location, and the shop itself.

Gear installs are one of those areas, that is worth paying more to a shop with a lot of experience and a great reputation....than to save a few bucks. A gear install is not complicated, but it is very precise, and should be performed by someone that has done many and is reputable. I would also ask a shop how many Jeep JK's they have done.....(piece of mind knowing that your JK is not a guinea pig- lol).

Whether or not it is worth doing is up to you. If you think your JK feels as if it has lost a lot of performance since upgrading tires (on-road/ off-road/ acceleration/ mpg's/ etc), than you might want to look into it, but if you think it feels okay- then don't worry about it.

If you don't have 33's yet- you might want to do them first, and see how it feels with the stock gearing. Some will feel okay with that set-up....others will not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As low as maybe $800 (gears/ labor/ fluid/ etc), and I've seen gear installs at $1200+. Depends a lot on your location, and the shop itself.

Gear installs are one of those areas, that is worth paying more to a shop with a lot of experience and a great reputation....than to save a few bucks. A gear install is not complicated, but it is very precise, and should be performed by someone that has done many and is reputable. I would also ask a shop how many Jeep JK's they have done.....(piece of mind knowing that your JK is not a guinea pig- lol).

Whether or not it is worth doing is up to you. If you think your JK feels as if it has lost a lot of performance since upgrading tires (on-road/ off-road/ acceleration/ mpg's/ etc), than you might want to look into it, but if you think it feels okay- then don't worry about it.

If you don't have 33's yet- you might want to do them first, and see how it feels with the stock gearing. Some will feel okay with that set-up....others will not.
Man did you see the detail in that answer???

THATS WHY I LOVE JKOwners.com!!!!!!!!!!!:beer::beer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts