JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running 37" tires on D30 and have been looking for a reasonably priced D44 that I could build over time. No luck so far. So I am thinking about buying the RCV's for what I have. I guess my next weakest point is my R&P. How likely am I to break my R&P? and has anyone on here actually ever broken one? Stock motor, stock 3:73 gears (going to 5:13 as soon as I can). Pitch in boys, I know everybody has an oppinion.:beer:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If that's the case, don't lock it. At most, your spider gears will take a shit before your R&P does. If you do lock it, with the tiny 5.13 gearset for the D30, it'll be the weakpoint. I'm on a Detroit locked D30 with 4.88s and 35s. But, I'm easy on the pedal.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Take my advice, keep on breaking stock shafts. I break stock shafts a few times a year. Better than the R&P. There's your answer. Don't spend $1,000 on shafts and rip your R&P the first time out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Think of the shaft as a fuse that blows, saving the more expensive parts.

If you add up what you've spent on shafts, perhaps you would have more $ for a new axle/diff, etc...

Once the diff can handle more load, you can upgrade the shafts and u-joints, etc...to match, etc.

With all that snappin goin on though...keep a fuse in the drivetrain where it makes sense.

We used to use hub fuses for example....so we'd blow a cheap easy to swap out lock ring type thing instead of an expensive, hard to replace part....the trick is to get the "fuse" to be just a LITTLE weaker than the NEXT weakest part.

:D

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I ran 37's on my TJ d30 which had a lot smaller ring and pinion and was low pinion and only ever broke ujoints...

i personally agree with everyone about just leaving the stockers. I say just carry a set of spares...

that being said, the D30 ring and pinion isn't THAT small. compare it to a TJ's or older styld D30... even the 5.13's i put in weren't that small compared to the TJ's.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I blew 3 axles in 1 week. The first one I was spinning and bounced the front about 2 feet and snapped as soon as it came down. The other 2 I was creeping at full turn trying to climb a rock and broke them real easy. I think I will wait to find a D44 cause I would hate to have to spend $600 + to replace a R&P. And I refuse to go down a tire size.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well A) you shouldn't bounce the truck and B) you shouldn't be at full lock trying to get on an obstacle.

Reposition yourself if you have to.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a) some times shit happens
b) you try holding those 37's to keep them from turning with that pos steering pump
c) you shouldnt sas your elders boy
:thefinger::beer:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Haha no disrespect, just be easy on her!! She does love a beating from time to time, but there's a fine line...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts