JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 444 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Damnit. So, after figuring out there were too many "Storm Trooper" builds out there, I was advised that one cannot nickname their own rig. Great!

So, as a result, this will be a "no name build", just like the last one was "The Build...". Any nicknames can be kept to whomever wishes, but unnamed is how we'll proceed.

So..., without further adieu, let's begin the Build Thread. I'm going to have fun, so I hope you enjoy.

RC

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so on Day Three, we decided to start cutting into the rig. It is time to clearance the pinch seams, cut & trim the fenders, and trim the bumpers.

Jim, Robby, and Scott (in spirit & sarcasm), were great in helping me with this! I wrote this elsewhere, but Jim is truly an artist when it comes to trimming fenders! This is the first set of painted fenders he has trimmed, and although we were both a bit apprehensive, the end result came out very well!

I am intending to go for more of a budget build this time, so I want to keep the factory fenders, for clearance, cost, and look. Once they're destroyed in a year or two, then we'll grab some.

For the bumper, Robby and I swapped, as his was already trimmed by Gary at Extreme Motorsports (where I may decide to have my lift done, if I am short on time). Robby bought a PSC bumper, and as such, no longer needed his trimmed bumper. I haven't determined whether or not I'm going to host a Jeep Weekend, and do the suspension myself, but am leaning toward having Gary do it, because his setup, touches, and detail, are lights out! Plus that saves me a lot of time.

To be determined!

RC

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Long arm or short arm?

I'm willing to die to protect my 2nd amendment rights, are you willing to die trying to take them away?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Nice looking so far. If your up in the air on the painted fender I have a new set of stock black one you can have.
But if he did that it wouldn't be the "SNOWBALL" build lol

I'm willing to die to protect my 2nd amendment rights, are you willing to die trying to take them away?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Dude, I have a much better trimmed bumper than that if you want it. You would have to put your lights into it (I never had any), but its a nice looking bumper for a trim.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Day 5 (of ownership)...

Aside from a cage and an LS engine, I was perfectly happy with my last rig. But with this build, I wanted a new type of rig. I wanted a brand new rig, to apply all that I had learned during the process of my first JK build. Install this, but don't waste money on that... Definitely do this first, and leave that for later, or even never...

I wanted a rig loaded with every imaginable option on it, so I can enjoy the creature comforts, yet build something that is clean, and has time, effort, and money in all of the right places. A lean, clean, under-accessorized look is what I'm shooting for, although I reserve the right to modify my position on this matter at any point in time. So, we'll start with getting the steering, suspension, and reinforcements all done (except axle sleeves which will be soon), I want the infrastructure of the rig to be nails..., trail/rock-ready. Wheels & tires of course, buying wheels ONCE, and definitely no chrome this go round, although I stand by my last rig through and through.

Now, I want to be able to show and compete in next weekend's 2nd Annual RTI Ramp Competition. Whether the rig will be ready and completely dialed by then, remains to be seen. But, my intentions are to make a valiant effort!

A fork in the road... I have a decision to make. My original intention, was to install everything myself, with exception of the C-Gussets & Lower C/A Skids, as I do not yet weld. The Synergy System is bolt-on, with a lot of grinding. The original thought when I set out to sell my old rig, and buy a new one, is that it would be in plenty of time to host an "Install Party", and have as many of the NorCal guys come together, install, oversee, bullshit, BBQ, and goof around, to get this thing done. Having said that, I sold my rig on Saturday, bought a new rig Monday, and today is Friday, leaving one full weekend, and a work-week which is not available for me to work on my rig. So..., I decided to take it to Gary at Extreme Motorsports in Brentwood, CA. Gary does excellent work, has done work for me before, has a knack for dialing in JKs to their maximum usable capability, and is a good friend to boot... I'll never regret taking it to him, but I'll only wonder what fun I missed putting this in myself. :)

Here is the breakdown of Phase One of the build...

Body:
  • Trimmed Factory Fenders (by Jim a.k.a. Family-JK)
  • Trimmed Fender Supports & Liners (by yours truly)
  • Front Bumper Swap w/ Robby (Robby had one which had been trimmed), and he is installing his PSC bumper this weekend
  • Painting of the underside of the fenders & white background
  • Rear Bumper & Spare Tire Delete
Suspension & Steering:
  • Synergy Suspension Phase 4 Long-Arm System
  • Synergy Tie-Rod
  • Synergy Sector Shaft Brace Kit
  • Synergy Rear Upper Shock Relocators
  • Fox Performance Series Remote Reservoir Shocks
  • Fox Steering Stabilizer
  • Synergy Steering Stabilizer Mount
  • JKS Rear Coil Spring Retainers
  • Rear Limit Straps
  • Synergy C-Gussets for front D44 axle
  • Synergy Lower Control Arm Skid Plates
  • A lot of tuning...
Wheels & Tires:
  • Spyderlocks Beadlocks (17")
  • Nitto Trail Grappler Tires (37" x 12.50" x 17")
  • TMPS Sensors
Miscellaneous:
  • Flowmaster Series 50 Exhaust (inline w/ rear cutoff)
  • Poison Spyder Tramp Stamp II w/ License Plate Mount
  • Poison Spyder Third Brake Light/License Light Kit
  • Poison Spyder License Plate Delete Plug
  • Teraflex CB Antenna Mount
  • Teraflex Removable Mud-Flap Kit (same one I had on Ironhyde)
  • Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
  • Hi-Lift Jack Sportcage Mounts
  • Superchips FlashCal (#3570)
  • SpiderWebShade (TrailMesh)
Other than a CB install and axle sleeves (that I still need to buy), and my existing recovery bag, this will get me by for a while on the trail...

Stay tuned for pics of the build from Phase One...

RC

Attachments

1 - 20 of 444 Posts