JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently test fit one of the Rancho Exhausts on our 4 Door JK and it accomplishes the same thing as the exhaust we were bringing to production at almost half the cost. It's a full replacement cat back exhaust which relocates the muffler under the center of the vehicle, and opens up the space out back for our rear winch mount.

These are currently in stock for both 2 door and 4 door JK's and available for online ordering at the following link:

http://www.redrockfab.com/shop/jk-exhaust.html

Any questions feel free to ask.

Jason

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ok guys here are some questions.

Its it a bolt on or we need some welding to get it on ?

Also what is the pipe diametter and what brand of muffler is it ?

How bad is the heat transfer from the muffler on the new location ? ( I cant see a heatshield on the installed one) Sorry for all the questions but im really interested in this kit. Looks really nice and its a great price.

I was looking to get a Banks cat back kit. Love the sound and the performance. I know your kit makes a great improvement just for the relocation , but does it help performance wise. Hit me with wath you got and i might be getting me one of these pretty soon. Thanks

·
Banned
3,226 Posts

How bad is the heat transfer from the muffler on the new location ? ( I cant see a heatshield on the installed one) Sorry for all the questions but im really interested in this kit. Looks really nice and its a great price.

I was looking to get a Banks cat back kit. Love the sound and the performance. I know your kit makes a great improvement just for the relocation , but does it help performance wise. Hit me with wath you got and i might be getting me one of these pretty soon. Thanks
from the pics you can see they use three clamps so it is all bolt on (besides cutting the stock pipe). For a 2dr you would need to relocate the evap but it appears it can stay in place for the 4 door.

Pipe is 2.5", kit is Rancho/Dynamax.

I have a magnaflow that would be worse for heat transfer. It is in the same location as theirs. I have no heat sheild and so far I have not noticed any heat problems but I forget to check when I am really heatin it up. I fiure if it gets bad enough I would buy some of that heat sheild tape/foil. I can feel the heat coming up the side of the rig when I am leaning out the window at a drive through.

Performance? It will make it sound faster. :D Possible gains in higher RPM but it won't be really noticeable. Some people belive their butt dyno has shown improvment but people with all types of vehicles think a catback "feels" faster. BIggest improvment would be more in the weight savings/relocation/sound departments.

For how cheap these are I say it is worth it. I bought a magnaflow and had an exhaust shop bend a tailpipe. This kit does not cost all that much more then what I paid. I am surprised what the are selling it for :beer:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Hey WTF LOL if for sure i dont need to relocate the evap canister im sold on it.

And for the performance part i should have know that the sound department make it go faster:shaking: :D . Of course that the cat back is not going to make a hughe diference but later on when i get my build finish i dont want to go back and change what i have done to it allready. (just being Patient buying Parts or bolt ons "Goodies" jaja) :grinpimp:

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Yah, as far as performance I would not worry about it. This is a straight through muffler so there is no restriction, there is nothing more you could do to get anymore power from a catback...so you wouldn't need to go back and change anything

I am sure Red Rock will chime in here in a few but here is a quote from jksociety.com regarding the evap canister on a 4dr...

redrock4x4 @ jksociety.com said:
Just confirming I didn't have to relocate the EVAP canister on my 4 door, although I keep meaning to do that...
Even though you do not HAVE to move it I would consider it. It is a very easy install that you can do with basic hand tools. Especially on a 4dr, it is a pretty vulnerable place stock. I belive Red Rock 4x4 sells a kit but here is the one I used...

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581&highlight=evap+relocation

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just want to build it and beat it.:smokin: Just building it right so it will last me a while you know. Im learning from you guys so i take bits and pieces from everybody here to get the rig that is going to suit me the best.

Im getting ready to upgrade from Mall Crawller To Rock Crawller. Slowly but steady.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Well, i just bough it. I hope it will get here before my deployment so i get to play wiyh it. Lets see what happens. Ill post it in the lybrary with plenty of pics. :smokin:

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Well, i just bough it. I hope it will get here before my deployment so i get to play wiyh it. Lets see what happens. Ill post it in the lybrary with plenty of pics. :smokin:
Congrats!

Can you post up a sound clip once you have it installed? I have not had a chance to hear that type of muffler yet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds like WTF_LOL answered these but just to confirm.

100% bolt on

2.5" Diameter, Dynomax muffler

How bad is the heat transfer from the muffler on the new location ? ( I cant see a heatshield on the installed one)
It's not an issue from what we've seen. When we were developing our exhaust kit we tested with and without heat shields, and really didn't see a need for one.

I know your kit makes a great improvement just for the relocation , but does it help performance wise.
As much as any exhaust could, which isn't much :D. You can feel a little more pull at higher rpm's, but there's not a huge difference by any means.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Rancho JK Cat Back / Muffler Relocation Kit

Well, i got my kit tuesday. Box arrived in good condition:D. Today i put all togheter in about one hour or less (by myself) Yes is that easy.

Now let me tell you guys a litle bit about it.

The fitment is perfect. The canister is not even close to it for me to worry about it. Theres no heat coming out even on the sides at least when i test drove for about 3 hours just fooling around. The sound is deep and strong i just love it:bounce:. Its a great product for a great price im really happy with this.

I was going to do a writte up on the library but this is so esasy to do that theres no sense to do one, and my camera is broke. I just hate to do a writte up w no pics. But the sound clip is coming up soon. Im buying me a camera tomorrow and take some pics and sound clips.:beer:

·
Registered
783 Posts
got any sound clips of it?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ok i know i should have post the sound clip i have to work on it.

AFOULK, it sounds great, not too loud, deep when you accelerate. It does let people know that you have an exhaust. So far its being good, no rust spots at all, fits great and good price, plus it relocates the muffler out of harms way.:beer::beer:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I haven't seen the answer for this yet- on the 2-door, would you need to relocate the EVAP canister? Mark W.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I have this setup, with just a dump out of the back of the muffler underneath. Not too noisy, but not stock...:smokin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts