JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely someone here can answer this for me, obviously I don't actually mess with computers often. I have a 21.5" iMac that has 2 x 2gb DDR3 ram sticks in it. According to the system profile, I have two empty slots in it still. On NewEgg.com they sell "Corsair" brand DDR3 RAM sticks for an Apple. $37 gets you 2 x 4gb cards.

I don't really have any "speed issues" with the computer, but to go from 4gb of RAM to 12gb of RAM for $40 seems like a decent idea. All I should be looking for is that the sticks are DDR3 and for an Apple, Yes??

:beer:

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, but basically I want to make sure I get the correct RAM sticks. If my system profile shows I currently have "DDR3" sticks installed, that should really be all I am looking for in the RAM description, yes?

· Registered
3,188 Posts
Yup. If you go to that site and click on your iMac and pick ram upgrade, they will only show you what to get. But if the system pref says DDR3, go with that.

Personally I would max the ram out, so if you can swap the 2 gb rams for 4 and run 16GB, you would be a rock star and make editing some RAW photos with your DSLR a whole lot easier.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. If you go to that site and click on your iMac and pick ram upgrade, they will only show you what to get. But if the system pref says DDR3, go with that.

Personally I would max the ram out, so if you can swap the 2 gb rams for 4 and run 16GB, you would be a rock star and make editing some RAW photos with your DSLR a whole lot easier.
Yea I've thought about that already, I think I'd be content for a little while tripling the RAM capacity for the $40. But we'll see!

· Registered
1,707 Posts
I only buy through Crucial.com, they area division of Micron (who make a good portion of the memory on the market). They giver several different version of the 21.5" iMac, but it looks like it would be $45.99 through them:

http://www.crucial.com/apple/

I've used other sites before and had issues with wrong or lesser chips arriving, never had an issue with Crucial in over 10 years.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
I would check to make sure you don't need to get a matched set of sticks.
Going over 4GB, I would just buy all new matched 8 or 12GB. Less of a chance of it not working with what is in there currently.

· Registered
9 Posts
You could also try macsales.com. I have had a pretty good experience with them.

You also want to check with Apple to see what your computer and operating system can support. Based on the size I'm guessing it came out in 2009 or after. If it is a 2009 it should support 4gb, a 2010+ will support 8gb according to Apple.

Another consideration is if you are running bootcamp or a virtual machine, because then you can go higher, and use the excess ram in those operating systems.

Hope this helped.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I will have to check if I can bump the RAM. Not sure where I can find the info, but I'll take a look!

· Registered
9 Posts
Here is the link that will tell you how much ram it can support.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3011

If you don't know which one you have click on the apple in the upper left, and click on system information. Then click on more information. It should tell you under where it says iMac.

If you can't find it there, follow the link at the top of that will tell you how to look it up using the serial number.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perfect! Thanks, according to my serial number it's a "Late 2009 21.5".

According to the site it'll run up to 16gb worth of DDR3 1066mHz. I'll probably be buying 8gb of the 1066mHz which will bump it up to 12gb. I imagine that will do just fine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.