JKOwners Forum banner

raising the rearend clearance 8"+

7K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Swinge86 
#1 · (Edited)
Ended up using the stock frame cross member....
Ground out the frame rails from it and then used a extension hitch and cut off the length I needed...
Flipped the cross member over so it went up instead of down then notched it for the hitch....the pic of the hitch does not show all the gusseting and overlapped steel that was done....

Flipped it cut off the body mount pockets ground frame smooth and then put the cross member in, started the angles and plating I'll finish it tomorrow or Saturday.

Putting angles on it to slide off stuff and will do the sides after I finish plating in the inner sides...this thing will not move....

Here's how it started

Here's how it looks

28" from ground to hitch which is lowest part aside of frame rails

Giutted the rear jack storage to allow the clearance

This shows how far up flipping the cross me bear and then notching the hitch in gives you...its at least 8"+ higher now the ground clearance back there is huge.

See less See more
#2 ·
Its not done, still need to finish plating it in and do the side sections.

Also exhaust has been put in front of axle with dump and evap is relocated to under axle....

#5 · (Edited)
Tailight design is mine and yeah body mounts are going back. They will be in front of the cross member. I'm cutting a hockey puck down to size and using that as well as replacing all the mounts with hockey pucks. Going to ace body jiggle for the cage to frame and up front I need to inboard the mounts anywase I'm chopping the grill like a CJ and it will tie into the lines of the poison spyder bumper...

Actually finishing the shaping on the tailight plates and will be selling them shortly...as well as other jeep stuff from us and others...
Coming from a more simplistic rock crawler angle versus the goddyness that plagues a lot of stuff...

#9 ·
Thanks .

Yeah if I end up stretching it 8" this will be perfect...
Coilovers through the jack hole and bumper can cap at frame where body angles in from being cut...

I'll do a small build thread as it goes I'm doing all side armor, fenders and rockers as well as arms and linkage.....

#11 ·
Hockey pucks all the way around and frame mount a new cage....that's the plan....

I'll get la king pucks just to stay socal loyal....:thankyou:

#12 ·
I've seen guys use hockey pucks before and all have cracked and/or shattered, don't use them

#15 ·
Then I will find some low profile ones from the junk yard or catalog and make em...thanks for the heads up...never had a issue on the race truck but good to know....(actually when it went full race it was hard mounted so pucks were on for short period)

Just saw your from Canada so I think the cold might play a role in the rubberized material getting hard and fracturing instead of staying rubbery....

#16 ·
Did some work got sick so ill finish up this weekend.

Heated the panels and bent them in....

#18 ·
As soon as I get some time I'll go measure a template and see if it'll work. If I remember right it will be fine....
Where should the hole be centered top or bottom....I say top then you can add another light or angled rock light below later if wanted...

#19 · (Edited)
Got the rear panels bent and welded along with caps on rail. I'll work on it some more wed/Thursday been really sick and kids too....

#23 ·
Not done yet, I'm not messing with the sides yet as I might just go ahead and stretch it sooner than later.
It will have mount points on it as well as 2 hinges that go to a rear tire stinger with skid that urethane mounts to the rear. So it will be a bit I have my rear axles to finish off and arms to build.

Got some goodies and some work done been sick sick sick.......so have the kids....

Did the tie rod, drag link and track bar tomorrow along with the flip kit and HD tie rod ends on all.

Welded the top plate on and put gussetts behind it welded em in then welded the plate ground slits where the gussetes were behind and slot welded them together. This will be the lower mount points for the tire carrier.

Grinding it all smooth and flush

#24 ·
Ground it down and painted it just till I start the rear stinger / tire carrier.
Doing axles this week so stretch and tire carrier will be put off a week or so...

Anyhow here's the height difference over a regular configuration for reference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.